DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-09-20 14:42:42

n0m0r3

how to? enable telnet password protection?

I've installed the funplug 0.3 on my CH3SNAS and telnet is enabled by default, and I can access the device using telnet and no password.

But I want to enable telnet password protection. according to the release notes I have to do this:

"-- Telnet with password --

After installation, the telnet server does not ask for user-name and
password, but jumps directly into a root shell.

To make telnet use the login program, edit the telnetd.sh start
script, comment the LOPT variable referring to "sh", and uncomment
the LOPT variable using "login". Finally, reboot (or manually restart
telnet).

IMPORTANT: You cannot login as root unless you have set a password!"

but how do I do this?

Because when I access and edit the file via \\192.168.1.253\Volume_1\fun_plug.d\start\telnetd.sh and want to save it Windows says "access denied".
Do I have to change the file an other way? because now I access the file via SMB from a windows XP machine.

thanx in advance.

n0m0r3

#2 2007-09-20 22:54:38

td-dns323

Re: how to? enable telnet password protection?

Have you try to simply connect with telnet ?

2 DNS-323 with 4 Seagate ATA 500 Go 16 Mo cache UDMA-300 7200 rpm Barracuda 7200.10 in Raid 1 -Firmware 1.03

#3 2007-09-24 18:21:26

n0m0r3

I can telnet to the device, and I changed the settings sescribed in the readme, byt after a reboot I can not access the device at all via TELNET.

And how do I have to change the file?

n0m0r3

#4 2007-09-26 23:55:17

thejipster

n0m0r3 wrote:

I can telnet to the device, and I changed the settings sescribed in the readme, byt after a reboot I can not access the device at all via TELNET.

And how do I have to change the file?

n0m0r3

What happens if I forget to set the root password before I modified the telnet.sh file and uncommented the line that requires users to use password?  Is there a way to recover?

#5 2007-09-27 11:17:37

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

thejipster wrote:

What happens if I forget to set the root password before I modified the telnet.sh file and uncommented the line that requires users to use password?  Is there a way to recover?

You cannot become root anymore. Although you don't need to be root often, some things require root access, e.g. starting/stopping things like dropbear, nfs, ... or changing any of the funplug files.

There are ways to recover and some have already been discussed here (I think in the Updated Funplug thread). Last resort is to move the Volume_1 disk to another computer to remove or change the funplug.

#6 2007-10-08 21:49:47

n0m0r3

I got it working, i just had to follow the manual. settings a root password first etc.

#7 2007-10-17 12:03:03

Gavlester

Guys,

Can someone tell me what i have done wrong.

I have been using the fun plug and telnet for ages, but have decided now that i will require outside access to the device via telnet so i am going to forward the port on my router (which is all good and i understand this).

So i attempted to setup telnet with password. Here is what i have done:

I used passwd command to setup my root password then used the store-passwd.sh to save it. All seemed to go well.

I then tried to change telnet to use the login method, but as the OP experienced, it wouldn't let me save it. So i telnet'd in to the device and CHMOD'd the file to 777. Then uploaded the modified .SH file (which i modified in windows). All seemed well. I reset the device to find that Telnet doesn't appeat to automatically boot anymore.

So the question is... why? Is it because i changed the file attributes to 777? or is it because i stuffed up when modifying the .sh file in windows? or is it something else?

Board footer