DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-10-20 04:52:33

flynn

Any custom cooling ideas? What kind of temperatures do people see?

On average I see temperatures that I'm not comfortable with inside my DNS-323... does anyone see the same?

Has anyone come up with any clever ideas or mods to control the temp?

#2 2007-10-20 05:37:17

fordem

Re: Any custom cooling ideas? What kind of temperatures do people see?

How would I know if my internal temperatures are the same as yours?  Or if I'd be comfortable with the ones you're seeing?

Search - you'll find fan control scripts and at least two fan mod threads, with pics, one is a dual fan mod & the second an external ducted fan.

Oh - for what it's worth - I'm quite comfortable with the temperatures I'm seeing, and I think my disks are too - at least neither one has quit on me in nine months of 24/7 operation, and I'm willing to bet the ambient temperature where I am is higher tha most of you see.  Don't get me wrong - I pay just as much attention to disk temperatures as the next person - it's just that I feel that the DNS-323 cooling system is quite adequate as designed.

Today's disks actually run a lot cooler than those of yesteryear - I literally cooked a number of 1GB SCSI disks in the early '90's by running them with inadequate cooling - I lost the first one in under a week, but it was not until I killed a second one that I figured out the reason.  Those were the days before SMART, or commercial "disk coolers" and I ended up retrofitting all of my servers with 80mm fans channelling air directly over the disks, along with a temperature monitoring system that sensed the temperature on upto four disks, plus the internal cabinet temperature and would perform an orderly shutdown of the server if they went outside of the acceptable window.

Board footer