DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-10-19 22:00:02

mingoto

Light-weight web based music browser / streamer

Hi,

I just released my music browser at sourceforge:

Music Browser is a light-weight web based browser for you music collection.

It should be light enough to run flawlessly on NAS devices like the Linksys NSLU2 or Freecom FSG3, and could serve as a simple alternative to software like Andromeda. Music Browser supports streaming of albums and songs, and shows cover images if they are present.

The script does not have to be in the same folder as your music, and requires a web server and PHP5 to run.

Get it at http://musicbrowser.sourceforge.net/

All feedback is appreciated.

#2 2007-10-20 13:21:42

JackShepard

Re: Light-weight web based music browser / streamer

Hi,

i like your program smile I installed it on my DNS-323 as described and all my mp3-files are now listed in your webfront-end.

How do i use the streaming-feature? Opening the m3u /pls with VLC or WinAmp does not work on my laptop. I think it would be nice, if i can directly play the files on the website like it is done on a podcast site (example: http://www.bitsundso.de/ ).  Is this possible?

BR,

JackShepard

#3 2007-10-22 21:57:29

dkl

Would this work with Lighttpd? I tried it but I get a "blank" (empty) page.

Last edited by dkl (2007-10-22 22:34:17)

#4 2007-10-23 15:12:34

mingoto

dkl wrote:

Would this work with Lighttpd? I tried it but I get a "blank" (empty) page.

Yes, it works with lighttpd (as long as PHP support is installed).  Your $rootPath in index.php or permissions might be wrong.  Try downloading version 0.2 from sourceforge, it now does a little more sanity checking and supports PHP 4.3 and up.  (Version 0.1 needed PHP 5.1 to run.)

JackShepard wrote:

How do i use the streaming-feature? Opening the m3u /pls with VLC or WinAmp does not work on my laptop. I think it would be nice, if i can directly play the files on the website like it is done on a podcast site (example: http://www.bitsundso.de/ ).  Is this possible

Streaming should work out of the box by selecting a file or the m3u/pls icon in the header.  Maybe your $rootUrl variable in index.php is wrong somehow?  It should point to the URL where the scripts are placed.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys.

Last edited by mingoto (2007-10-23 15:14:54)

#5 2007-10-24 22:58:59

dkl

After a couple of trials, and the help of the author (many thanks!), it works OK: browsing and streaming are fine with lighttpd (with php stuff).

#6 2007-10-25 13:49:59

JackShepard

@mingoto

Thank you very much! After changing the rootUrl path streaming my mp3 files is working perfect :-)

#7 2007-10-25 14:44:41

dkl

@mingoto: Maybe the README file could be updated so that the problems we both had (apparently) would be avoided. I did not download the last version, maybe you did this already.

#8 2007-10-25 16:32:18

mingoto

dkl wrote:

@mingoto: Maybe the README file could be updated so that the problems we both had (apparently) would be avoided. I did not download the last version, maybe you did this already.

In version 0.2 I added some info into index.php, next to the configuration variables.  In addition I some sanity checking with regards to the path.  Could you download it and see if that would have helped you?  All improvement  suggestions are welcome smile

JackShepard wrote:

Thank you very much! After changing the rootUrl path streaming my mp3 files is working perfect :-)

Great!  I guess I will add URL auto-detect in the next version, this would help avoid trouble for most people.

#9 2007-11-01 11:01:26

mingoto

Allright. 

I will release version 0.3 in a short while.  It includes very basic support for a server side music player (e.g. madplay), has lower PHP version requirements (4.2),  and the configuration is cleaner.

Is there anything else you'd like to see fixed or changed before I release it?

#10 2007-11-01 23:32:44

Gavlester

Looks cool. Keep us updated on new releases.

#11 2007-11-03 11:33:47

mingoto

In celebration of 100 downloads from sourceforge, here is version 0.3. It sports prettier URLs, cleaner config, basic server side playback, recursive folder streaming, GUI improvements and bug fixes.

All feedback is appreciated.

Get it at http://musicbrowser.sf.net/

#12 2007-11-05 20:41:03

mingoto

Version 0.4 has just been released. 

This version supports rudimentary playback via Slimserver, in case you (like me) feel that the Slimserver UI isn't snappy enough. Slimserver and server side playback can be limited to certain hosts.

Bug fixes:
- utf-8 display problems
- parsing problems when magic_quotes_sybase=On

Get it at http://musicbrowser.sf.net/

#13 2007-11-06 23:57:09

dkl

Hello

I have just downloaded version 0.4 right now. Fits my needs perfectly, the configuration issues are much simpler than version 0.1. I don't use SlimServer (for the moment), only the web browsing and client streaming. utf8 is now great. Thanks again!

#14 2007-11-10 07:53:57

Gavlester

I have a question about music browser.

I have been messing around with a few things and i am trying to get .avi's and .wpl's to work with it. Now the easy part was obviously getting 'music browser' to become 'media browser'(displaying the .avi's as well), however i am struggling getting the streaming side happening.

Basically i have the .wpl side of things happening and it works fine with mp3, but whenever i try it with avi's, Media player simply sits there like a stunned mullet and it eventually has to be shut down. I'm not entirely sure what is causing it, any suggestions? Is it just that the files are likely too big to work the way the scipt is currently configured?

If so, is it possible, when creating the playlist, to have the file location listed as a network address rather than as a http:// address (through the script)?

Not explecting this as an inclusion in your music browser, just trying to edit it up to meet my own needs. (i am bumbling around a bit as i am not that good with code)

Also, For the future of your music browser - is there a chance we could see the ability to create a playlist of songs from multiple different directories? (i don't think you can do that at the moment can you?)

Hopefully that all makes sense

#15 2007-11-11 17:11:04

mingoto

Gavlester wrote:

I have a question about music browser.

I have been messing around with a few things and i am trying to get .avi's and .wpl's to work with it. Now the easy part was obviously getting 'music browser' to become 'media browser'(displaying the .avi's as well), however i am struggling getting the streaming side happening.

Basically i have the .wpl side of things happening and it works fine with mp3, but whenever i try it with avi's, Media player simply sits there like a stunned mullet and it eventually has to be shut down. I'm not entirely sure what is causing it, any suggestions? Is it just that the files are likely too big to work the way the scipt is currently configured?

If so, is it possible, when creating the playlist, to have the file location listed as a network address rather than as a http:// address (through the script)?

I guess the problem is that the .avi file is read and output by StreamLib::readfile_chunked() instead of just being output by Apache directly.  This is OK for smaller files like MP3's, but a video players like to read large amounts of data to get seeking working etc.  I just released version 0.5, which enables .asx playlists -- it might work the same way as .wpl.   I manage to watch some seconds of an .avi with VLC, then it gives up.  WMP just seems to hang.  Please let me know if you find a good solution to this.

It should be fairly easy to use a file location instead of an http URL.  Replace $this->entry_info() in MusicBrowser::stream_all() with something that formats your paths the way you want.

Also, For the future of your music browser - is there a chance we could see the ability to create a playlist of songs from multiple different directories? (i don't think you can do that at the moment can you?)

You mean like a playlist for e.g. both "Depeche Mode - Black Celebration" and "Depeche Mode - Violator"?  I haven't though of that earlier, but it might be doable by adding checkboxes next to the folders or something.  I'll think about it.

And as I mentioned, version 0.5 is at http://musicbrowser.sf.net/ now.  It includes podcasts for all folders and other small improvements and bugfixes. Get it while it's hot smile

Last edited by mingoto (2007-11-11 18:51:03)

#16 2007-11-12 11:55:00

Gavlester

mingoto wrote:

I guess the problem is that the .avi file is read and output by StreamLib::readfile_chunked() instead of just being output by Apache directly.  This is OK for smaller files like MP3's, but a video players like to read large amounts of data to get seeking working etc.  I just released version 0.5, which enables .asx playlists -- it might work the same way as .wpl.   I manage to watch some seconds of an .avi with VLC, then it gives up.  WMP just seems to hang.  Please let me know if you find a good solution to this.

I am still working on this... probably not going to be possible though so may have to point at the file directly.

You mean like a playlist for e.g. both "Depeche Mode - Black Celebration" and "Depeche Mode - Violator"?  I haven't though of that earlier, but it might be doable by adding checkboxes next to the folders or something.  I'll think about it.

Yeah, kind of like creating a playlist... like  perhaps somehow open up a smaller window that saves your selections as you click the songs and adds them to a playlist. when you are finished selecting your songs, in the smaller window have a button that reads the songs that you have selected and creates the playlist.

Last edited by Gavlester (2007-11-12 11:58:52)

#17 2007-11-12 21:14:26

mingoto

Gavlester wrote:

I am still working on this... probably not going to be possible though so may have to point at the file directly.

Yup, I think that's the way to go.

Yeah, kind of like creating a playlist... like  perhaps somehow open up a smaller window that saves your selections as you click the songs and adds them to a playlist. when you are finished selecting your songs, in the smaller window have a button that reads the songs that you have selected and creates the playlist.

It's certainly an idea to think about.  All code is welcome :-)

#18 2007-12-03 15:23:31

logge
Website

Thanks for the app, works on the DSMG600 too.

It would be a nice feature to be able to play the files directly in the browser, through for example flash player.

For my own device, I created a software that loops through my music collection, and creates static webpages for each directory. It is using this player:

http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_MP3_Player

In that way I just click on the directory I want to listen to, and it is automatically played in my browser. It could be something for your music browser too.

#19 2007-12-03 20:36:49

mingoto

logge wrote:

Thanks for the app, works on the DSMG600 too.

Thanks.  A new version with a couple of bug fixes is out today.

It would be a nice feature to be able to play the files directly in the browser, through for example flash player.

For my own device, I created a software that loops through my music collection, and creates static webpages for each directory. It is using this player:

http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_MP3_Player

Seems like a good idea, it should be fairly easy to use a player like JW MP3 player as a drop in player in Music Browser.  I don't have a lot of spare time right now, though, feel free to implement and share :)

#20 2007-12-04 00:07:44

pwvandeursen

I think that would be great too. I don't know anything of these kinf of things, so unfortunately I have to wait untill someone picks it up...

Hail to the developer. It was a breeze getting it to work, even for me, and that is very good, as I don't really have any experience with these kind of things. I installed php for the first time, and still don't know what it does and how it works, but your music player is working flawlessly on my site!!

Thanks!!

Patrick

p.s. is there some sort of mailing list we can be included on to be informed of any updates?

#21 2007-12-04 10:29:08

mingoto

pwvandeursen wrote:

Hail to the developer. It was a breeze getting it to work, even for me, and that is very good, as I don't really have any experience with these kind of things. I installed php for the first time, and still don't know what it does and how it works, but your music player is working flawlessly on my site!!

Thanks!!

Great!

p.s. is there some sort of mailing list we can be included on to be informed of any updates?

Go to the file releases page (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile … _id=208076) and click on the little envelope on the left side of the download button.  This will enable you to monitor new file releases (It requires a no-hassle sourceforge account).

Last edited by mingoto (2007-12-04 13:28:08)

#22 2007-12-06 23:52:00

ciac

i just installed your app, and i can't believe how easy it was. i'm a total newbie to linux and hacking but people like you just makes it so much easier to get the most out of my otherwise vanilla (but reliable) nas. Thanks so much. I'll be exploring a bit more now that I get the server working without a hitch. It's fantabulous! smile (i only read two of your posts before going to download and install.. that's the incredible part)

boy doesn't the wiki on this site needs serious updating? you would never know all the features this nas is capable of reading the wiki, whose articles are often redundant and confusing. is it editable by everyone? why won't you post yours on there?

#23 2007-12-06 23:57:04

ciac

just an immediate question: is there any way to make the pages to display unicode by default? I have a lot of foreign/asian music files and I needed to manually switching the encoding to unicode everytime since it doesn't display right. Or is it unrelated to the application? Thanks.

#24 2007-12-07 19:32:18

mingoto

ciac wrote:

just an immediate question: is there any way to make the pages to display unicode by default? I have a lot of foreign/asian music files and I needed to manually switching the encoding to unicode everytime since it doesn't display right. Or is it unrelated to the application? Thanks.

You can try editing template.inc:  replace "iso-8859-1" with "utf-8" in line 23. 

Please tell me if it works for you.

#25 2007-12-08 04:01:01

ciac

mingoto wrote:

ciac wrote:

You can try editing template.inc:  replace "iso-8859-1" with "utf-8" in line 23. 

Please tell me if it works for you.

Yes it works. Thank you for the quick response! smile

Board footer