DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 2007-08-26 17:39:10

dan.crouthamel

Re: RAID Reliability

Chumby wrote:

Thanks Dan,

So I have done the funplug and can telnet in. 

Can you give me an example line where I can delete everything off Volume2, and then copy everything from Volume1 to Volume2 (lh drive to rh drive) using rsync.

Much appreciated!

Chumby

One way to delete everything on Volume2 is the following:

cd /mnt/HD_b2
rm -r *

To use rsync, you'll need to get the binary if you haven't already.  If if the location of the binary is in your path, you can do the following (what Skydreamer posted earlier in this thread)

rsync -rlptDv --delete  source_dir destination_dir >log_file

Enter rsync -h, for an explanation of what each command line parameter does.

#27 2007-08-27 13:11:57

Chumby
Website

Thanks for that Dan.  Will try and find rsync and try the command above...

Appreciate the help.

Cheers
Chumby

#28 2007-08-27 14:32:43

dan.crouthamel

Chumby wrote:

Thanks for that Dan.  Will try and find rsync and try the command above...

Appreciate the help.

Cheers
Chumby

It's available in the download section of the wiki page.  Fonz's fun_plug also includes it.

#29 2007-08-29 14:20:03

FoxFire

dan.crouthamel wrote:

Chumby wrote:

Dan,

Thanks for that.  For the newbies here... how do you run rsync?  Do you automate that on a daily basis or something?  Is it automatied through the DNS scheduler, or windows?

Cheers
Chumby.

The hard way - manually smile  Just telneting into the device and running it from the command line for the directories I really care about.  I'm looking into something more automated, but for now this will work.

Presumably you could use a scripting telnet client to mean that you just click on one icon to do everything. I used to use a program called COM7 (or something like that) to login to my FreeBSD box and shut it down (ie command "shutdown now"). I _think_ that could get it to record a session and then save that as a script. I guess you could then get windows to schedule running that task for you somehow.

#30 2007-08-30 13:36:56

dkl

If you mean to make a copy from one disk of the DNS to the other one, using the windows scheduler for this is not the best solution, as the DNS can do it by itself, using "cron" (I think Emacs already mentionned this earlier).
- no client needs to be up or connected
- you can schedule the copy at a time (late at night?) when you are more or less sure there is no other activity on the DNS. Although rsync is very fast, it's always better to avoid making backups and modifying files at the same time.

- put your "manual" commands in a shell script
- run the script once to check it works (be carefull with the path, it's a good idea to set the path manually in the script).
- put the script on the crontab.
    You're done...

#31 2007-08-30 15:14:46

Chumby
Website

Thanks dkl....

Trying to get up to speed on this..

Manual commands?  Don't use rsync? What are you suggesting here?

Cheers,
Chumby

#32 2007-08-30 16:52:23

dkl

Use rync, as explained above, first manually, to check it suits your needs... Find the rsync parameters that suit you the best ("man rsync...").

Once you're happy with your "rsync command", put the command line in a shell script.  Put the script in the appropriate place on the disk, give it 755 permissions.
In the script, prefer to use to absolute path to the rsync executable, so you don't have to bother with the path when run by cron.
Once the script works fines, use cron to run it at the period you want (have a look at "man cron" or "man crontab", I don' remember. Maybe both).
Usually, the way to add something to cron is to use "crontab -e", but I did not test it on the DNS. This is standard Unix/Linux. To run the script in cron, again, give the absolute path to the script. This should work.

#33 2007-09-15 01:21:09

Chumby
Website

Hi there,

Trying to get the rsync working before I even look at cron wink

Have been trying rsync - seemed to work for about 100gb (trying to copy one disk to the other), but then comes up with an error.

Command I used was:

rsync -rlptDv --delete /mnt/HD_a2 /mnt/HD_b2 >log_file

and then error I get is:

rsync error: errors with program diagnostics (code 13) at log.c(230) [sender=2.6.9]

Any idea why the 350gb or so on HD_a2 didn't didnt copy over to HD_b2

Thanks Chumby.

#34 2007-09-15 01:40:21

det1rac

I just posted a result from my experience with RAID1.

My system basically stopped recognizing the array thus making the data inaccessible.
Then Linux wont read it because of the RAID1 configuration, so your data is locked up on the drives.
Then I had to use a utility to recover.

I am now simply manually syncing the data as standard drives and using a USB drive as an off line backup.

So I would not use the RAID1, I have over 230GB of photos what a disappointment that would have been.

Bob

Forum link:
http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t926-RAID1 … isted.html

Last edited by det1rac (2007-09-15 01:41:00)

Thanks,
Bob Cain
www.robertcain.info

#35 2007-10-09 11:12:22

dgmartin

fordem wrote:

Using firmware v1.03

1 - Very likely - provided you have email notifications enabled and working - don't rely on the front panel LEDs to go amber.
2 - easy as 123 - 1 - power the system down, 2 - remove the failed drive, 3 - insert the new drive.
3 - In my opinion not very likely, I've done some pretty through testing of drive failure scenarios and not had it happen once - see #5 below.
4 - No - it is not automatic, after replacing the drive you must log in through the web interface and accept the format & rebuild prompts.
5 - Ensure the replacement drive has no partitions on it and is the same size or larger than the failed drive.
6 - No - it doesn't.

I will use my new DNS-323 as a pure RAID-1 volume.  I want to be certain that it will recover should a disk fail.  At present I'm still setting up my backup environment so I'm prepared to experiment and maybe loose the trivial data currently stored on the array.    Is this a reasonable test plan ....

1 - Switch off DNS-323
2 - Remove disk #1
3 - Power on DNS-323  ( I assume it will complain that disk #1 is not responding and will prompt me to insert a replacement disk but I would ignore those prompts. )
4 - Format disk #2 
5 - Power off DNS-323
6 - Insert disk #1
7 - Power on DNS-323
8 - Follow prompts to re-build array on disk #2

Has anyone any other or better test suggestions ?

And how can / should I test that the array is fully functional in the end ?

... Dave

#36 2007-10-09 20:16:43

fordem

Any attempt to format disk #2 with disk #1 removed (or vice versa) will result in the RAID settings being changed and the unit will not rebuild the array.

Here's how I would do it

1) Switch off DNS-323 and remove the disk of your choice
2) Switch on the DNS-323 and verify the availability of the test data
3) Switch off the DNS-323
4) Install the "replacement" disk - this needs to be the same size or larger than the original, and "clean", ie no partitions or data.
5) Switch on the DSN-323 and follow the prompts to format and resync
6) After the resync is complete, verify the availability of data.
7) Switch off the DNS-323 and remove the "other disk" - which ever one you did not remove in step #1
8) Switch on the DNS-323 and verify availability of data.
9) Repeat steps 3, 4 & 5 to return the unit to full RAID functionality

Please be aware that RAID1 is not a replacement for a proper backup regime.

Once your data is available in step #8 that should satisfy you that the rebuild was properly done - if I recall correctly the unit also displays the status of the array on the status page.

Last edited by fordem (2007-10-09 20:26:12)

#37 2007-10-09 21:16:39

dgmartin

fordem wrote:

Any attempt to format disk #2 with disk #1 removed (or vice versa) will result in the RAID settings being changed and the unit will not rebuild the array.

Here's how I would do it

Once your data is available in step #8 that should satisfy you that the rebuild was properly done - if I recall correctly the unit also displays the status of the array on the status page.

Fordem - ok, thanks, I think I understand what you're describing, and you have taken the test one step further than I suggested by doing the test effectively twice, once on each disk.  Fine, that's a solid idea. 

I did think, however, that what I suggested was very similar as far as testing one disk goes.  I loose you slightly when you say "install the replacement disk".  At present I don't have a replacement disk (or any other SATA disk for that matter). 

What I was attempting to do in my process was effectively 'break' disk #2 by formatting it and then re-introducing the good disk #1 and hoping that the DNS-323 would then rebuild the array using the good data on disk #1 and disk #2 as a 'blank' disk.

Will that not work ?   Does the DNS keep an internal record of the states of the disks and will have already remembered disk #1 as 'dead' just because I removed it ?

#38 2007-10-09 21:57:51

fordem

I'm not doing it twice to test both disks - I'm rebuilding the "failed" disk and then removing the remaining one to prove to you that the rebuild was successful - the data being available with both disks installed (step #6) proves nothing, the system could be reading from the disk that has not been removed.

Your test procedure never verifies that the data continued to be available, making it a completely invalid test.

You can use the disk you removed as a replacement - providing you are willing to "clean" it first - if you install a disk with data, the results of the reformat/rebuild process may or may not be what you expect - there are posts on this forum indicating that both disks were formatted one by one, resulting in lost data.  I have not personally experienced this, possibly because I make a point of only using "clean" disks as replacements - as they say "experience teacheth wisdom" - many years ago, when Novell NetWare was the big name in networking, I was playing with disk mirroring in a lab, and my replacement disk had data on it and Novell very happily rebuilt the mirror from the wrong disk.

What you are suggesting will not work because - like I said - any attempt to format disk #2 with disk #1 removed (or vice versa) will result in the RAID settings being changed - the unit will not allow you to reformat the disks without changing the RAID settings, and will not allow you to configure RAID with only a single disk installed - feel free to try this for yourself.

#39 2007-10-09 22:12:59

dgmartin

I was hoping not to have to get another disk just to do a test.  Maybe just as well to have one ready for 'the' day when one dies, though.     Thanks for the clear guidance.

#40 2007-10-10 00:12:32

fordem

If you have data you're willing to risk losing, just try it the way I suggested - rather than making an unnecessary purchase.  The disks I have in mine are 250GB Maxtors that were purchased over a year ago - they spent the first 6 months of their life in an IBM xSeries 206 in which they were spinning 24/7 and the last 8 months in the DNS-323 - and show no signs of distress.

#41 2007-10-27 22:19:57

dgmartin

Well it took me a while but the results are good ... the unit certainly rebuilds disks (this is firmware 1.03) - in an hour or so in my case (about 200GB), and appears to stay available even while rebuilding.  With one disk out the unit happily keeps writing to the remaining good disk and afterwards syncs all the data correctly onto the new disk.

The only downside is that I got no yellow (?) LED indication of the failure - but the drives blue LED was clearly off.  And the built-in mail notification is so basic (no SSL or port config) that AFAIK all the usual 'free' services (Google, Yahoo ..) are ruled out.  Does anyone know otherwise ?

Board footer