DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-06-22 21:32:35

saidin43

Again with the printing problems

I currently have a DNS-323 F/W 1.03
and a canon IP1600.

Both work wonderfully when working on their own BUT...When I attach the Canon to my DNS-323, and map the printer on any computer (I have 3 Desktops, 1 laptop), there is always a 3-5 minute delay from when I choose "print" (for example from IE, or MS Word), and then another 3-5 minute delay for the job to actually start printing.

I have read the previous threads regarding similar issues.  Following those, I have:

1)Attempted to add the printer by browsing the network, and selecting lp, from under the DNS-323

2)Created a TCP/IP port and then added the printer with that port

Note:  when I add the TCP/IP port, it always asks for what type of connection it should be, whether it is RAW or otherwise, I'm not quite sure what to enter for this, but I've toyed with the settings, and never seems to work at all when added like this.

3)Deleted the temporary printer folder that appears on the DNS (LP was it?)

4)In the drivers of the printer, I shut off bidirectional communication, turned off enhanced printing etc...(took a while because accepting changes in each screen takes 3-5min)

BTW I am using the latest drivers for the IP1600.

At this point, I'm all out of ideas.  Unless someone knows what the special TCP/IP port settings should be when adding the port in the printer wizard, I'm stuck.

#2 2007-06-28 12:37:17

gareth

Re: Again with the printing problems

Hi Saidin43, I am also experiencing exactly the same problems as you. I have FW 1.03 and I'm using a Canon PIXMA ip5000.

Has anyone else experienced such problems and/or know of a fix?

Gareth.

Last edited by gareth (2007-06-28 15:24:38)

#3 2007-07-19 15:17:22

Cosaron

See http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t136-Print … rking.html
I am currently running a CANON IP5000 via DNS-323 USB with FW 1.03 on WIN XP SP2 myself, and LifeTap's solution worked like a charm. :-)

C

Last edited by Cosaron (2007-07-19 15:18:02)

#4 2007-07-20 02:32:29

saidin43

You know, its funny...I must of read that particular thread 10 times over and I kept doing the same thing.  This time, I actually followed the instructions, and added a local port instead of adding a TCP\IP port.  Though adding as a TCP/IP port is a force of habit since I add TCP ports user's printers at work all the time.  But yes, adding the local port has worked and it prints immediately.

Now my DNS-323 is 100%

Thanks a million

#5 2007-07-20 12:12:46

DoubleJet

I have found if I follow the instructions in the manual for installing a printer, I get problems.  Have no idea what the percentage is for people following the procedure in the manual getting a bad printer installation but I suspect its fairly high. Its time D-Link looked at this.

By following a different procedure, as suggested above and originally posted by fordem, thankyou fordem, your a life saver, its possible to get a printer installation thats just as reliable and fast as a directly attached printer. My printer is HP DeskJet 930c.  This is a direct quote from fordem's post:

"Assuming you're using Windows, here's how I would go about it.

Start by installing the printer directly on one of the computers and make sure it prints, once this has been completed, share the printer and then install it on ALL the remaining computers, as a shared printer.  Be sure to test on at least one - these two steps serve two purposes, the first being to ensures that the required drivers are in place, and the second to ensure that the printer can be shared - some printers depend on the Windows GDI and do not share.

At the computer that the printer was originally installed on, find the printer in the Printers and Faxes folder, right click it, and select Properties, and then choose the Ports tab.  Click Add Port, select Local Port and then click New Port.  Using UNC, enter the ip address of the DNS323 as the server, and lp as the sharename - for example - \\192.168.0.10\lp - then click OK.

Do a test print."

#6 2007-10-30 23:43:29

EngineerJoe

Following your instructions to the letter, after I click "Add Port" => "Local Port" => "New Port", it aks "Enter a Port name". if I type \\toaster\lp (yes, my DNS is called "Toaster"), it says "The network path was not found". If I type "\\192.168.1.100" that it's an invalid port name. If I enter \\192...\lp" it says again "The network path was not found"

Also, what is UNC? If it's just something required to find the IP address of the DNS-323, I can live without it since I statically set the IP

#7 2007-10-31 00:42:31

fordem

UNC is a naming convention - \\toaster\lp is the UNC name for your printer, as is \\192.168.1.100\lp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_%28co … Convention

Look in the network properties for the connection, is file & print sharing ticked?  This is kind of a shot in the dark - I'm not certain if it is necessary, but it is installed on my laptop and right now I'm out of country and can't simulate your problem because I have limited network access.

Board footer