DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2006-12-20 01:22:09

jhleung

Can anyone get the iTunes Server working?

I have a tough time getting this itunes server working.  I dumped 30 GB of music into the "Music" folder which is hanging off Volume 1.  Inside the "Music" folder are a couple hundred subfolders which are named with the artist name... its inside these subfolders that he actual music resides.

Anyways, I point the iTunes server to the "Music" folder (I uncheck the "root" box) and the disks in the DNS-323 grind away for 2 or 3 minutes and then the webrowser hangs at "Refreshing...."

Waiting 30 minutes doesn't get out of the "Refreshing..." State.

Opening up iTunes does *not* show an iTunes server to the left...

Rebooting the DNS-323 and navigating to the iTunes server page shows broken html (as if the page half loaded...)

Only way to restore is to restore back to an image that did NOT have the iTunes server checked for the "Music" folder.  This is with v1.02.  ?

Thanks

#2 2006-12-20 05:07:39

jhleung

Re: Can anyone get the iTunes Server working?

I got it working ... user error, combined with a buggy web interface, even with IE and Firmware 1.02

Anyways, I need to attach to

Volume_1/Directoryname 

NOT

Devicename:Volume_1/Directoryname

as the UI would leave you to believe...

#3 2006-12-20 05:22:51

jcatech

I got almost same problem (fw 1.01); for some reason the first time that I setup the iTunes server, got corrupted the page for iTunes settings, it freezes the IU. I reset the unit to the manufacture defaults and setup the iTunes server again. This time it works fine. smile

#4 2006-12-20 20:11:39

jhleung

Further update:

I also noticed that the daapd server and UI would totally freeze when I clicked "Refresh" and it tried to "Catalog" a certain .m4a that was corrupted ... I only noticed that it was corrputed because Win XP reported that the length of the music file was infinite minutes.   The only way to recover was to reboot the DNS-323 Once I deleted that file, the iTunes server works great, even with 30GB of music.

#5 2006-12-20 23:15:19

MadMax

I'm trying to get the DNS-323 to work with a Roku SoundBridge (a device that plays musicfiles and internetradio from servers on the network). My PC sees the Itunes-server but the SoundBridge does not (it sees the UPnP-server though). Anyone have any clues?

BTW I've also experienced som bugs with in the webinterface. Some buttons on the Itunes-server page disappeared and I had to do a system factory default settings restore for them to reappear.

/Max

#6 2006-12-21 04:35:52

MadMax

I found the answer myself. I had a Pinnacle-branded SoundBridge which doesn't support direct connection to an Itunes-server, due to licensing stuff between Pinnacle and Apple. ARGHH!!! My hope now is that I'll be possible to somehow install FireFly on the DNS-323, because the now included UPnP-AV server is really lousy.

#7 2007-01-04 01:52:05

flynn

i was able to get the iTunes server working, as long as i pick a small folder of mp3's.

When i pointed it to my entire collection, it would hang on the "Refreshing" dialog - it could be a corrupted file or something similar as jhleung suggested, but finding the problem sounds like a PITA to me...

in other words, so far the itunes server isn't useful to me...

(on a side note, I found out that the itunes server doesn't support any of the "extended" ID3 tag stuff... such as the Album Artist tag and the Artwork. This makes some sense, but it still sucks... does FireFly have this issue?)

MadMax, please do share your experience getting FireFly working on DNS-323!

#8 2007-01-06 10:33:09

danne

MadMax wrote:

I found the answer myself. I had a Pinnacle-branded SoundBridge which doesn't support direct connection to an Itunes-server, due to licensing stuff between Pinnacle and Apple. ARGHH!!! My hope now is that I'll be possible to somehow install FireFly on the DNS-323, because the now included UPnP-AV server is really lousy.

My hope now is that its be possible to somehow install SlimServer so i can use my Slim Device with my DNS-323

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_features.html

#9 2007-01-10 10:01:23

flynn

danne wrote:

My hope now is that its be possible to somehow install SlimServer so i can use my Slim Device with my DNS-323

http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_features.html

any luck? i'm very interested in this possibility (or running a Firefly server) as well....

#10 2007-01-11 06:18:27

jcatech

So far, I’m still having problems with iTunes server interface. This is my third time that I reset the unit to the factory settings. This time, I try to disable it and the interface went bad. I will not use the iTunes server anymore.

Also, iTunes does not give you options to edit or classify yours songs; it is just a stream mode. I will leave my songs into the share folder and use MediaMonkey.

Board footer