DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-11-14 23:42:05

fickle

trying to install firefly

hi guys,

i made an attempt to install firefly last night and ran into a problem

(note, that i do have fonz_plug installed & working)

Firefly Version svn-1498: Starting with debuglevel 2
Starting rendezvous daemon
Starting signal handler
Error: enum_begin failed (error 1): Misc SQL Error: no such table: config
Can't get db version. New database?
Initializing database
Error: enum_begin failed (error 1): ?
Error: enum_begin failed (error 1): ?
Full reload...
Starting mp3 scan
Starting playlist scan
Updating playlists
Scanned 6910 songs in 212 seconds
Starting web server from /mnt/HD_a2/lnx_bin/admin-root on port 3689
Listen port: Address already in use
Error staring web server: Address already in use
Aborting
Rendezvous socket closed (daap server crashed?) Aborting.
Aborting

1. from the above, am i supposed to disable UPNP or iTunes prior to this?
2. am i supposed to have installed light httpd prior to firefly?
3. also after i did try the install i went to http://192.168.0.30:3689 i got a username & password box. what is the username and password?

cheers

Last edited by fickle (2007-11-14 23:52:04)

#2 2007-11-15 10:15:59

frodo

Re: trying to install firefly

Firefly is a more recent version of mt-daapd already running on the box. Obviously it is not a good thing running two copies of the same sw. So disable the itunes server (i.e mt-daapd).

Regarding 3) read the manuals for firefly and it will tell you. It is the same sw.

#3 2007-11-15 23:48:28

fickle

cheers for that frodo. just didnt know if firefly was iTunes or UPNP related. ill try the reinstall tonight with iTunes server turned off

as for your mention of read the manuals, i dont recall seeing any manual other than the howto within the wicki. and there is no mention of prerequisites required for firefox other than telnet (hence my light http question)

cheers

#4 2007-11-16 01:41:12

frodo

#5 2007-11-17 09:31:15

fickle

hi guys,

i have finally installed firefly via Standalone - The Easy Way (method one) via the wicki tutorial. it worked great for about 1.5 days. now when i try to goto http://192.168.0.30:3689/ i get page cannot be found

so i telneted in and did a .. top
found no mention of firefly or mt-daapd. can anyone advise how to start firely back up?

cheers

#6 2007-11-18 14:06:03

fickle

nvm, it seems it works. don't know why i could not get the browser up the first 20 times, but its up.. without a reboot and or any changes .. odd... way odd

#7 2007-11-19 17:07:58

dkl

Firefly make take some time to scan the database when launched, depends how large it is. This is why you don't get immediate access to the the html page. If you do a "full rescan" now, you'll have a good idea of the time needed for this...

#8 2007-11-19 23:20:45

fickle

i was just asking because it 'did' work the first time after it did a scan.. was able to create new favorites ect.. but after about 3 hours, it was 'missing'. i think it goes missing on every rescan .. maybe

cheers

#9 2007-11-20 00:07:47

Drew

Well...this seems to be common with you and me fickle. I installed V1.04B firmware and the i-Tunes server worked for the 1st time. Never worked again after that. I then installed Firefly standalone to no avail. What does happen however after a 323 reboot is the Firefly database is rebuilt (I see it appear on my AV Reciever network drive menu). It does not appear as an i-Tunes server. I have noticed that the Bonjour server is not running in Firefly. As a result of this I did some searching and then just loaded Windows Firefly - It worked fine. I then un-installed hoping this would help. Nothing still. This has got to the point now where I am about to throw the unit and my router into the wall...both of course are d-Link....but all I get from d-Link support is 'It works fine for us'. I am running out of options here....nothing seems to work. Can somebody tell me if the Bonjour server status is supposed to say 'running' on Firefly (standalone 323) as it was running on the Windows install?

#10 2007-11-20 01:13:58

fickle

iTunes server works fine without modifications.. i went firefly .. well, cause i can. i have used iTunes server successfully but wanted favorites of which iTunes did not support.. hence another reason i went firefly. i have tested iTunes server with an iTunes client with success. and also iTunes server with my Denon (http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=860539) receiver but i don't know if the receiver was using iTunes protocol.

however, as with you, i did the firefly upgrade and well, iTunes client works fine (no favorites) and now my receiver cannot see my 323 now. with that in mind, i think my receiver was using uPnP as my network does not even see my 323 as a uPNP device. i may just reset to default just to get back my songs to stream to my receiver. it seems that maybe firefly may play with the uPNP portion of the 323 but due to my lack of linux, i am only 'guessing'.

i have not done a restart on my 323 as of yet as i fear the ramifications of doing so. eg, as you asked, does the 323 firefly re-catalog all the media or would firefly even start?

just did a search on my Denon receiver and yes, it does see iTunes .. so i guess firefly does not work as well as anticipated. it could be that firefly has a login to 3869 (port for iTunes) and my receiver cannot access the port due to password restriction (maybe what you & i are experiencing). maybe we are just better off going to standard iTunes and not firefly for our use (but again, im only guessing). odd though that iTunes clients see it and play files successfully, but windows network still wont see the uPNP portion of the 323 after firefly install (and yes, uPNP is turned on & path defined).

Last edited by fickle (2007-11-20 01:15:44)

#11 2007-11-20 03:10:00

Drew

Fickle: Firefly is an iTunes server. It does not serve UPnP to an AV Receiver as far as I know. For that I use Twonky Mediaserver. I have not been able to get the iTunes server functionality of Twonky working....probably for the same reasons that Firefly and the original version of mt0daapd do not work (I wish I knew). The mp3 serving of Twonky works great. It works fine even after installing Firefly.

My problem is that the Bonjour server is 'Stopped' in the Firefly configuration. Why I do not know. It needs to be 'running' to advertise it's existence on the network. Once I work out, or find out from Ron P, as to why it is 'stopped', and fix it, I am confident that the iTunes server will work.

This has been a frustrating experience to say the least....

#12 2007-11-20 05:01:20

fickle

hey drew, i know firefly is itunes, its just my receiver can no longer see it for some reason after firefly upgrade

#13 2007-11-29 06:56:59

CurtisL

I'm not sure if its worth mentioning, but my Firefly server runs more or less perfectly, and my configuration page indicates that Bonjour isn't running (see attachment).
I wonder if that's not a red herring?

#14 2007-11-30 01:26:07

Drew

CurtisL wrote:

I'm not sure if its worth mentioning, but my Firefly server runs more or less perfectly, and my configuration page indicates that Bonjour isn't running (see attachment).
I wonder if that's not a red herring?

That is a known bug in that version smile Bonjour is running....

Board footer