DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-11-24 21:31:24

dave1_nyc

dropbear confusion

Hello. I'm used to working with openssh and putty, but I'm having a problem with dropbear.

I'm used to generating a public key and a private key. When I start dropbear it outputs what look like the public keys to standard out but then creates two files (dropbear_dss_host_key and dropbear_rsa_host_key) and wants to use them when it starts. These look like the private keys but when I've tried using a public key from either putty or openssh it won't use them.

I'd appreciate a quick how-to.

Thanks
Dave

#2 2007-11-24 22:04:13

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Re: dropbear confusion

dave1_nyc wrote:

I'd appreciate a quick how-to.

dropbear and openssh use different formats and you need to convert between them. Have a look at dropbear's README file for the instructions:
http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0. … opbear.txt

#3 2007-11-24 22:40:38

dave1_nyc

Thanks fonz, and I looked at that, but the readme file specifcially says that I can just use the authorized_keys file from openssh, and that the other two files are relevant when dropbear is the client. Am I misunderstanding this?

thanks
Dave

#4 2007-11-24 23:12:07

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

dave1_nyc wrote:

Thanks fonz, and I looked at that, but the readme file specifcially says that I can just use the authorized_keys file from openssh, and that the other two files are relevant when dropbear is the client. Am I misunderstanding this?

I can ssh into my DNS-323 that way just fine. There's a ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file on the DNS-323 that contains my rsa public key (~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub on the ssh client host). You're right - I don't think I converted these (I'm using the same key with another box). If it still asks for a password, directory/file permissions are probably wrong.
If you still can't get it to work, please give more details.

#5 2007-11-25 03:22:08

dave1_nyc

Thanks fonz. This was just stupid on my part, as I was also setting up keys for a wireless router and I had the wrong public key copied. Thanks much for your time; sorry to have wasted it.

Dave

Board footer