DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2006-08-31 16:35:58

Joor

DSM-G600 is nice but...

Hi folks,

today I sent my device back to the distributor and i hope he will take it and send me my money back.

Basicly this is nice hardware but d-link made only garbage from it.
It is very noisy so I had to diable the fan and leave the cover open for cooling.
The software is very buggy; my DSM always forgets its settings like workgroup and shares etc.
The configuration is only possible with IE. But I'm using debian linux and IE ist not completely running with wine.

All in all I gave d-link a last chance but I'm very disappointed again from this company...

Now give Synology DS-101 a chance. It is ordered today, so hopefully i can test it on saturday...

But I will read this forum regulary because it is very interesting for me how the development on this hardware will continue...

BRGDS
Joor

PS: what do you do against the noise of the device. There is a threat in a german forum about this problem and the developed very adventurously soloutions up to rebuild the case completely.

#2 2006-08-31 17:12:27

qn1234

Re: DSM-G600 is nice but...

Joor,

Well, that's too bad.  Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you.  I have mine in a walking closet so I don't hear any noise.  I use FireFox with it and it's been working great for me.   Yeah, I noticed there are some hickups in the software settings using the original firmware but that doesn't bother me as I bought this for hacking.   I updated to the newer firmware and I believe some of the problems went away.  Maybe you didn't upgrade your firmware?

Hope the new device will work out for ya.

--
Quang

#3 2006-08-31 17:48:52

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

You are quite right about this device. Hardware has great potential but D-link firmware is just the worst thing I have ever seen.

For this fan situation I have plan to add 120cm fan at the top of this device and make it run about 500rpm.
Also this device has lots of security bugs (I will write new topic about this soon with some workarounds).

DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

#4 2006-08-31 18:38:47

Joor

qn1234 wrote:

Yeah, I noticed there are some hickups in the software settings using the original firmware but that doesn't bother me as I bought this for hacking.   I updated to the newer firmware and I believe some of the problems went away.  Maybe you didn't upgrade your firmware?

Hope the new device will work out for ya.

--
Quang

It was also my intention to have a device for testing and hacking but also for using ;-)
I tried with three different FWs (1.00, 1.01, 1.02 all EU) and I reflashed them a few times but nothing helps...
I think, there is a bug in the firmware by writing the settings into the flashmemory.

I also spent some time to compile some apps (dropbear, mc, and a full-featured version of busybox) to build a embedded miniserver but as long as we are not able to create a proper chrooted environment or replace the original FW the device is not flexible enough.

Maybe later i will buy again this device because i am still on my opinion, that the hardware could be great.

Joor

#5 2006-09-16 21:33:58

BertrandB
Website

Joor wrote:

Hi folks,

The configuration is only possible with IE. But I'm using debian linux and IE ist not completely running with wine.

Hello i use the sala fix for the format HD and i made a litle program to fix the erroneous asp.

It's very simple :

cd to /mnt/HD_a2/web (remember you must use the sala fx gains the format interna hd)
put this script:

#!/bin/sh
for F in *.asp advanced/*.asp user/*.asp home/*.asp status/*.asp tools/*.asp
do
  echo traite $F
  /mnt/HD_a2/sed -i -e 's?</td></a>?</a></td>?' -e 's/\(<a[^>]*>\)\(<td[^>]*>\)/\2\1/' -e 's/<p align="center"><br>/<p align="center">/' -e 's/\(<font[^>]*>\)<br>/\1/' $F
done

and launch it

c'est  tout

Now i can use firefox to admin my dsm-g600 (I love it but it is realy very noisy)

#6 2006-09-16 22:09:55

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

Thanks, nice finding BertrandB smile
I did add also help/*asp
But some strange reason, Firefox fails to show Wireless Settings.

DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

#7 2006-09-17 06:58:33

qn1234

What does this fix fix?  I had IE and Firefox 1.5.0.7 side by side and went over every single screen I could find but didn't see anything seriously wrong; just some differences in font sizes and colors here and there.  I'm using firmware 1.01 dated 12/15/2005.   Hmm...

#8 2006-09-17 11:10:43

BertrandB
Website

qn1234 wrote:

What does this fix fix?  I had IE and Firefox 1.5.0.7 side by side and went over every single screen I could find but didn't see anything seriously wrong; just some differences in font sizes and colors here and there.  I'm using firmware 1.01 dated 12/15/2005.   Hmm...

With originals pages firefox can't open the diffrents tab. and for IE you don't have the hand over the link.

What's wrong ?

Dlink use
<table>
<tr>
   <a href="ref of link">
     <td> text of link </td>
   </a>
</tr>
</table>
This is really bad html
the master piece of script switch <a><td> and </td></a> to <td><a> and </a></td> this make links work

There are some look problems that you may correct by hand ...

Board footer