DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-01-14 13:06:40

indy75

Many Problems Which Seems Not To Find Any Solution

I bought some months ago a DSM-G600 with 1.02EU firmware. This first unit had many problems which rendered it useless :
- unable to configure it with anything else than IE PC (I use a Mac)
- unable to use a DHCP address. I had to use a fixed address, only in 192.168.0.xxx (otherwise, it did not work)
- very slow upload and download rates in wifi (about 15 minutes for 30 Mb) on Mac but a bit better from wireless PCs and even a bit better from wired PC, through the wireless link - I use it as an wifi AP out from my Airport AB
I had it exchanged from D-Link (thanks to have to pay to send the unit, as it was defective and their fault)

My second unit is not very much better :
- I still cannot configure it with anything else than IE PC
- the DHCP problem is now corrected, but from a practical point of view, I use a fixed address
- the upload and download rates were correct at the beginning, and again very low, even as the Macbook is just 2m away from G600 (but 5m away with a ceiling from the Airport AB), but almost correct from my wired PC
- even worse : it keeps disconnecting. Unable to have it up and go for a day ! Even less than 3-4 hours
- when I try to move files to a folder on G600, the workstation OS tells me the disk is full. Then, I cannot copy anything directly to the forementionned folder. I have to copy files to another folder, then move them to the wanted folder

That is too much for a storage product...
Do you know any way to correct this ? Will I have to ask for a refund as the product seems clearly unable to do what I basicaly ask it to do ?

Last edited by indy75 (2007-01-14 13:12:06)

#2 2007-01-14 14:37:38

BertrandB
Website

Re: Many Problems Which Seems Not To Find Any Solution

indy75 wrote:

I bought some months ago a DSM-G600 with 1.02EU firmware. This first unit had many problems which rendered it useless :
- unable to configure it with anything else than IE PC (I use a Mac)

on DMG-600 forum there is a patch to correct this and the 1.02us is "firefox compliant wink"

indy75 wrote:

- unable to use a DHCP address. I had to use a fixed address, only in 192.168.0.xxx (otherwise, it did not work)

false ... it work fine at home in dhcp

indy75 wrote:

- very slow upload and download rates in wifi (about 15 minutes for 30 Mb) on Mac but a bit better from wireless PCs and even a bit better from wired PC, through the wireless link - I use it as an wifi AP out from my Airport AB

At home 5m50s for 209Mo with a stage between the dsmG600 and my PC. May be you let your AP in a electonicaly noisy place ... near a UC or a screen for example ...look at the doc and try to change the place. And the wifi "it's a kind of magie" you must tune every station to give the better result. For me i've got the best result limiting the speed of wifi on the PC.

indy75 wrote:

That is too much for a storage product...
Do you know any way to correct this ? Will I have to ask for a refund as the product seems clearly unable to do what I basicaly ask it to do ?

First respect the recomandation of D Link

dlink wrote:

4 Keep your product away (at least 3-6 feet or 1-2 metes) from electrical devices or appliance that generate RF noise.

UC and screen generate RF Noise, try too to put your AP in height you'l get better resuts

dlink wrote:

5 if you are using 2.4GHz cordless phones or X-10 (wireless products sus as celing fans, lights ....

If you have still poor results a solution may be to change the antena

#3 2007-01-15 00:22:07

indy75

BertrandB wrote:

false ... it work fine at home in dhcp

Well, not false. On the first DSM-G600 I had. The second was ok. On this point.

BertrandB wrote:

At home 5m50s for 209Mo with a stage between the dsmG600 and my PC. May be you let your AP in a electonicaly noisy place ... near a UC or a screen for example ...look at the doc and try to change the place. And the wifi "it's a kind of magie" you must tune every station to give the better result. For me i've got the best result limiting the speed of wifi on the PC.

In fact, I'd like to use the DSM-G600 to stream DiVX between it and a Macbook Pro, through Wifi. Until now, it has never been possible. Because of the limited throughput...

BertrandB wrote:

First respect the recomandation of D Link

dlink wrote:

4 Keep your product away (at least 3-6 feet or 1-2 metes) from electrical devices or appliance that generate RF noise.

UC and screen generate RF Noise, try too to put your AP in height you'l get better resuts

dlink wrote:

5 if you are using 2.4GHz cordless phones or X-10 (wireless products sus as celing fans, lights ....

If you have still poor results a solution may be to change the antena

There is no UC or screen within 2 m of the Airport base station. In fact, it is in the bedroom of my daughter. During the day, my PC, which is 3m from there, is working. But there is not more, nor less problems at that moment.
I also own a wireless home cinema. But no difference whether it is on or off. Also, I still had problems before installing it.

So long with D-Link recommendations.

So it really seems that :
- either I got two bad products (no luck)
- or the DSM-G600 is not finished (I really think that, as my problems were met by other users)
- or it is incompatible with Macs (I don't think so)
- or, maybe, it does not like the hard drive I installed in it (Maxtor 160 Gb) (maybe ?)

#4 2007-01-15 10:37:54

BertrandB
Website

indy75 wrote:

- or the DSM-G600 is not finished (I really think that, as my problems were met by other users)

indeed not yet and the sources are realy dirty

indy75 wrote:

- or, maybe, it does not like the hard drive I installed in it (Maxtor 160 Gb) (maybe ?)

Mine is a maxtor 120Gb so i don't think that is the problem ... try to limit to 802.11b your stations

#5 2007-01-15 10:50:37

indy75

BertrandB wrote:

indy75 wrote:

indeed not yet and the sources are realy dirty

So if it keeps be so bugged, I'll have it returned. "Vices cachés" : it does not work as expected in advertisement. Shame it is so hard to do so with CDiscount...

BertrandB wrote:

indy75 wrote:

Mine is a maxtor 120Gb so i don't think that is the problem ... try to limit to 802.11b your stations

I would never do that : limit globally my network speed to access a shared hard drive ! Shame on such a solution smile

#6 2007-01-15 14:01:08

indy75

More info : when connected on Ethernet network, the product works perfectly. So it seems that the wireless implementation is really bad and buggy !

#7 2007-01-15 14:54:27

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

For a side note, never do not connect DSM-600 into your network using wired and wireless connection at the same time because DSM-G600 binds same IP to two physically separate interfaces!

DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

#8 2007-01-15 15:53:10

BertrandB
Website

indy75 wrote:

I would never do that : limit globally my network speed to access a shared hard drive ! Shame on such a solution smile

I've got better speed in 802.11b than 802.11g mode thanks to zeroconf.

#9 2007-01-15 15:59:13

BertrandB
Website

sala wrote:

For a side note, never do not connect DSM-600 into your network using wired and wireless connection at the same time because DSM-G600 binds same IP to two physically separate interfaces!

Yes but we, Indy an I, (it would be a french specificity) use the DSM in AP mode not client Mode so it's the right mode to use it like a bridge beetween lan and wifi.

Indy have you another Acces Point on air (you are speaking about airport) ? In this case you may have a routing problem

#10 2007-01-15 20:09:55

indy75

I own a Linksys routeur with DHCP server enabled on it, with no wireless option/hardware on it.
Connected to it it my Airport Extreme base station (fixed IP,  no DHCP enabled on it, no port mapping, no WDS). Its mode is "Home Router" (I cannot modify it from my wired PC and the option does not appear on my MacBook Pro). It is my Wireless Access Point.
Until today, my DSM-G600 connects to the Airport BS. Because I really need a stable connection, I connected it directly on my router, and now it works correctly...
Did I do something wrong ?

Last edited by indy75 (2007-01-15 22:15:50)

Board footer