DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-01-14 01:47:39

ray

“WHAT IF” SCENARIO: The box fails but the hard drive’s still good.

First off guys, great forum!  I’m glad to see there is a small community dedicated to this one little piece of equipment.

Ok, so today I thought to myself “Self, what if this unit goes bad but the hard drive is still good.  Could you possibly mount this in your PC and retrieve all your valuable info?”  I didn’t have an answer so figured the best thing to do would be to take out the HD, put it in my PC and boot with a Live Linux Distro and see.

So I got the Hard Drive in my PC and booted with Ubuntu.  It saw the drive, but wouldn’t mount.  Just to make sure it wasn’t the distro, I tried Damn Small Linux.  Still nothing.

So I wanted to ask you guys:  Is there a way to mount this drive in Linux so that the information can be read off of it?

#2 2007-01-14 13:18:40

BertrandB
Website

Re: “WHAT IF” SCENARIO: The box fails but the hard drive’s still good.

Wellif you did put two master on the same ide (Generaly You would need to put the disk in slave before mounting in the PC) ... and the livecd work with other disk on your PC ... It's very bad sign.

Try first an e2fsck on /dev/hb2 if ok next mount /dev/hdb2 (the first partition is the swap)

#3 2007-01-15 12:11:07

StevieP

Many people have successfully transferred the hard drive to a Linux PC and accessed files from it. In fact, that was the only way that I could make the fun_plug script executable as ftp wouldn't let me chmod the file.

#4 2007-01-15 23:16:37

ray

StevieP wrote:

Wellif you did put two master on the same ide (Generaly You would need to put the disk in slave before mounting in the PC) ... and the livecd work with other disk on your PC ... It's very bad sign.

Actually, I replaced my master drive with the disk that sits in my D-Link NAS.

I put the jumpers on the same settings as my original master HD.

With my other disk, I view and extract contents from the drive (even though it's read-only).

StevieP wrote:

Many people have successfully transferred the hard drive to a Linux PC and accessed files from it. In fact, that was the only way that I could make the fun_plug script executable as ftp wouldn't let me chmod the file.

StevieP, Do you use a live distro or did you have a PC with Linux already installed?

I wouldn't think this would matter, but just checking.

At least this can be done so I'll try it again later when I get a chance.

thanks guys!

--Ray

#5 2007-01-16 15:17:57

StevieP

I must admit that I just put it in a PC that already had SuSE Linux installed on it. I haven't tried a Live distro.

Board footer