DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-01-15 14:16:07

gazoo

Slow connection problem

Well as I said in a previous thread, the new box I received after my return technically works fine. However, it's DOG SLOW. I have ext2 and RAID mirroring enabled. It seems significantly slower than my previous defective box. It takes over 45secs to transfer a 10mb PDF file. Can someone confirm this? I'm doing this over a 100base T connection. I know it's not as fast as the gigabit Ethernet, but come on..when i do file sharing between computers on windows, that kicks the DNS's ass..

//edit by sala
Please use more informative subjects smile

Last edited by sala (2007-01-15 16:19:11)

#2 2007-01-15 15:12:20

Apskaft

Re: Slow connection problem

gazoo wrote:

Well as I said in a previous thread, the new box I received after my return technically works fine. However, it's DOG SLOW. I have ext2 and RAID mirroring enabled. It seems significantly slower than my previous defective box. It takes over 45secs to transfer a 10mb PDF file. Can someone confirm this? I'm doing this over a 100base T connection. I know it's not as fast as the gigabit Ethernet, but come on..when i do file sharing between computers on windows, that kicks the DNS's ass..

There has to be something wrong with your setup (or unit).  Have you tested to connect the unit directly to a PC with a twisted cable? In theory, you should be able ro reach 12,5MB/s on 100 Mbit LAN.

I've not performed any proper benchmarks in my system, but a 14,5GB file is transferred in apx. 1,5 seconds. The DNS is setup in Standalone Mode with ext2 and is connected to the LAN through a Gigabit switch (DGL-4300), but the rest of my units (Desktop PC, Laptop, XBOX) only supports 100 Mbit.

When reading from the unit from the XBOX (also 100 Mbit connection) I peak at ~6MB/s, which is roughly the same speed I reach when transfering a file from the PC to the XBOX using FTP.

10MB/45s0> ~0,2MB/s is way below what is possible. Check your setup. Check what speed you've got in the unit, though the WEB interface (LAN Setup). Maybe you don't get 100 Mbit connection for some reason. And, try to connect directly using a twisted cable.

#3 2007-01-15 16:58:40

gazoo

I will check the cable tonight. Thanks. The reason I haven't tried that yet is because the last DNS i had did not have speed problems with this exact setup..but I will play around with the cable and different switch ports too.

#4 2007-01-20 03:30:24

gazoo

My bad, I had two switches uplinking to each other and there was a slow down there for some reason. Once I put all my computers and NAS on the same switch it took care of the problem. Thank you all

Board footer