DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-01-12 02:59:27

Gavlester

DNS-323 - Access Issue

Hey guys,

I am having a strange issue with my DNS at the moment i was wondering if you could help me with. I came home to find i couldn't get access to my DNS last night. I have found previously this has been because there has been a power failure and generally i need to run the smb restart command. Anyway, i tried to login via telnet to do this but when i got to the login/password and entered those, the DNS just hung. So i tried to login to the web server and i entered username and password and again it just hung... it wouldn't load anything after this. So i turned the DNS off and then back on and tried again. Same thing is happening. Try to login to the telnet... i get the password prompt but when i enter the correct password it just hangs and doesn't give me the usual prompt to enter anymore commands. If i enter the wrong password it continues to prompt me again for the correct one. I tried FTP... it logs me in and i can see the two volumes, but if i try to do anything else it hangs.

Is this a drive gone faulty? Or some other kind of issue? Much appreciate ANY help at all!

Cheers

#2 2008-01-12 03:12:46

Gavlester

Re: DNS-323 - Access Issue

Hmm definitely the Hard Drive damnit! It seems i can access one Hard Drive via FTP, however the other locks up. The one that has locks up has the telnet side of things. Is there any hope of data recovery here? If so any suggestions?

#3 2008-01-12 03:31:32

Gavlester

Even further information - The hard drive doesn't seem to be dead as such, as now when i login to the web interface it recognises it but wants to format it (which obviously i havenot done). Can anyone suggest any way in which i might be able to recover the data - i basically only have windows systems at the moment but am prepared to install Ubuntu or something to attempt a recovery of the data if required.

#4 2008-01-12 09:25:03

mig

You can try http://www.fs-driver.org/ which is a (free) driver that provides Windows
NT4.0/2000/XP/2003 with full access to Linux Ext2 volumes (read access and write access)

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

#5 2008-01-13 13:16:10

Gavlester

OK... so i tried the method above. Some VERY minor success - i was able to view the directory structure. However when i clicked on one of the directories... everything locked up. Since then i have been unable to get back in.

I downloaded the Diagnostic tools from Western Digital and the drive is recognised correctly (WD4000KS) and the SMART status is a pass for EVERYTHING. However, when i run a diagnostic test i get: Cable Test: Read diagnostics Sector Error!

Has anyone had any experience with this happening. Is the drive rs or could it just be a controller? The drive is spinning, however when i click on the drive letter in windows there is a clunk (not really audible but i can feel it when touching the drive.

I just want to know if i can save the data is all (i have 200GB + of tv eps etc on there. If i can't get it, well my bad luck for not having raid1 setup and i will need to start again, but if i can save it, well obviously i am going to.

Cheers again guys.

#6 2008-01-13 19:51:18

fordem

Gavlester wrote:

I just want to know if i can save the data is all (i have 200GB + of tv eps etc on there. If i can't get it, well my bad luck for not having raid1 setup and i will need to start again, but if i can save it, well obviously i am going to.

If I might - the issue here is not - not having RAID1, it is not having a backup.

Since this appears to be a drive failure of some sort, having RAID1 would/should have resulted in the data remaining available, BUT, since you mentioned a power failure, the possibility also exists that this is the result of some sort of disk corruption, and it is equally probable that both disks in a RAID1 array might have suffered the same corruption when the power failed and an improper shutdown occured.

If that were the case - RAID1 would not have saved your data - the only thing that would have is a backup.

RAID1 is not a substitue for backup.

#7 2008-01-15 05:16:51

Gavlester

Did i mention a power failure? If i did i didn't mean to as there wasn't one?(EDIT: I just read what i wrote and it is not very clear at all - when the power goes out generally the unit remains off and i need to boot it up and then run smb restart - in this case the unit was on) The second hard drive in the unit is A OK just this one has died. I think i have all but given up on it. It will read the directory structure using a different HDD analysis program however the file sizes reported are all way wrong (IE one is 3gb and the rest are 5kb or something). I started to try spin rite last night, but it wasn't getting past 0.000%.

Last edited by Gavlester (2008-01-15 05:19:55)

Board footer