DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-02-17 17:46:52

jhleung

Getting appletalk to work on dns-323 / Non latin characters

Hi, I've been following various threads and it seems that some people, like rguerrera, are able to get non-latin characters to show in the DNS-323 filestructure (for instance 草地灑水機.mp3) by enabling appletalk.

I've heard that netatalk must be enabled through chroot.

Can someone tell me how to do this?  I can ftp to the dns and create my funplug, but I'm somewhat of a linux neophyte, so if someone can tell me what exactly to put in the funplug I'd appreciate it.  Is it as simple as putting

./rc.atalk.sysv start

in the funplug or do I have to muck around with other commands too (like chroot ?)  Are all the files I need already on the dns-323 to do this or do I need to compile and put stuff on there?

Thanks

#2 2007-02-17 18:21:11

frodo

Re: Getting appletalk to work on dns-323 / Non latin characters

You will have todo some work. Simplest method I think is install debian on your DNS.
Then install netatalk in debian and after that you can create a startup script to launch it.

So no there is no simple instruction but you will have to combine debian install. chroot and setting up netatalk inside debian.

Good Luck

#3 2007-02-18 17:47:24

Hajonides

Alas I'm a 'user' and in no way a hacker diehard ;-), even after studying the chroot-debian howto, which will undoubtedly be clear to more experienced readers, I didn't manage to get a full Debian on the DNS-323. (I did though succeed in installing Telnet access, which I consider as a personal little triumph…).
Complicating factor is that the DNS-323 is functioning in a Mac network. Already downloaded Ubuntu 6.10.iso and sarge.tar, but that's as far as I got and dared to go.
Any help, for example in the form of a 'small-step-by-small-step' instruction would be highly appreciated…

#4 2007-02-18 21:19:01

rguerra

#5 2007-02-18 23:01:59

Hajonides

rguerra, thanks for reacting, but as magore already wrote in one of the threads, it's not for 'the faint of heart'. I read half of this forum, but for me, as not being a programmer or hacker, though understanding the direction of the indications, it simply is confusing. It's just hard to decide where to begin.
For instance:
> You will need a Debian Linux x86 system to create the install image. (My system is a Ubuntu Dapper x86 system)
I have some mac's running, not a Debian Linux system. Is there another way of starting?
> Make sure you have cdebootstrap smbfs installed
> apt-get install cdebootstrap
Where and when do I enter this command?
Etc.
The point is: I really am totally blank on this area. I'm convinced that with some support I will manage to get things done, but for now the instructions are of a level too high for me…

#6 2007-02-19 12:13:24

jhleung

Hajonides,

I'm in the same boat as you.  Unfortunately, I lack the detailed knowledge to work off these high-level instructions (like you, I've read almost everything I could on these forums).  Moreover, I lack the inclination to learn UNIX/LINUX to the point where I'm comfortable with such high level instructions. 

Until someone decides, out of the graciousness of their heart, to post more granular step-by-step instructions, I'm afraid I'm going to have to sit this one out....

I think if I were 20 years younger I'd have the motivation to learn the core skills needed, but these days, there are too many responsibilities competing for my time...

Good luck

#7 2007-02-22 17:48:52

Hajonides

OK this is what I tried: I forgot being a 'spoiled' mac-user; found myself an old 386 on which I installed Kubuntu 'Dapper Drake' and opened a root-shell-console. So far so good...
Next I went to the chroot_debian HowTo from Mike Gore. After typing the first command <apt-get install cdebootstrap> I got back the following lines (rudely translated; next time I'll switch to English as System language):
Package lists being read... ready
Tree of required ... (?) being built... ready
E: Couldn't find package cdebootstrap

... which leaves me pretty much at my starting point...

Any help whatsoever will be appreciated... ;-)

Last edited by Hajonides (2007-02-22 17:59:17)

#8 2007-02-22 21:31:31

KRH
Website

okay i have been checking out appletalk and it looks like a big work to get it working so i will not work on it.

First user to fun_plug the dns-323.

#9 2007-02-22 22:24:34

Hajonides

System says cdebootstrap is present, when I try to copy it to disk. Is the command looking for it in another place?
Which gets me to the next question: where do I put the ubuntu image (ubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-i386.iso) and sarge.tar? They're in usr/my-account-name now.
Maybe pretty obvious for ye'all, but me linux & command line dummy…

#10 2007-02-28 10:56:29

Hajonides

jhleung wrote:

Until someone decides, out of the graciousness of their heart, to post more granular step-by-step instructions, I'm afraid I'm going to have to sit this one out....

I think if I were 20 years younger I'd have the motivation to learn the core skills needed, but these days, there are too many responsibilities competing for my time...

Hi jhleung,

I seem to be quite a few steps further now, in spite of [it]my[/it] age ;-). Succeeded with some help in installing Debian Sarge, in which Netatalk should run. And that's the last hurdle to take…
When that is done, I'll try to provide you with more detailed steps from a Mac user point of view. It really is more simple than you would imagine reading these posts…

Board footer