DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-09-17 22:02:46

leighv

Xandros-ASUS/Windows - mounting network DNS 323

Hi - I am newbie to Linux, and have networked my DNS 323 to a static IP address, that I can see from my Windows PC.

Can I access (i.e. read and write) to the same disks from my Linux laptop (ASUS Xandros), without any issues - and if so - how can I do this?

Thanks.

#2 2008-09-17 22:35:54

luusac

Re: Xandros-ASUS/Windows - mounting network DNS 323

Yes, I would imagine so.  I have used ubuntu and that lists the dns323 in the file manager under 'windows network' if I remember correctly without needing to install anything else.  I have also mounted the drive using nfs (but then you need to install/run that on the dns323 (see ffp 0.5 on the howto wiki and look for nfs), and in my case install an nfs package on ubuntu).  You can also mount the drive as a cifs volume.
lu

#3 2008-09-18 01:09:50

ismora

I mount my DNS323 from my Xandros eeepc.
I mount it using nfs (unfsd on the DNS side).
I guess you can mount it using cifs too, but for a number of reasons I preferred NFS; if you make this choice too, here is how I did it.

The trouble with the eeepc is that it runs a simplified Linux (faster but customized/simplified starting scripts, sometimes reminds me another thing  named ffp...), and there is only one user, named "user", with uid 1000. You cannot create another user and use it to log in. You cannot change the uid of "user". If you try to do so, you'd better be familiar with Linux and ready to hack heavily Asus customized starting scripts and other things (among other things, the unionfs filesystem contains hard to change files owned by uid 1000). Personally I gave up as I found I had to go too far.

So the tricky thing is that, on the DNS, you likely have another uid, and this makes NFS access rights hard to configure.
My solution was to use the following line in /etc/exports:
/mnt/HD_a2/home/ismora 10.0.0.20(rw,all_squash,anonuid=12345,anongid=12345)
This tells NFS to consider ANY user accessing the NFS mounted volume from client 10.0.0.20 (the fixed IP of my eeepc on my home network), as being ismora (uid and gid 12345).
This is not particularly secure, but once again this is valid on my home network only, and it works...

DNS-323 • 2x Hitachi 500MB • RAID1 • FW1.04 • ext3 • Fonz's v0.5 fun_plug
DNS-325 • 2x WD Green 2TB • RAID1 • FW?.?? • ext3 • Fonz's v0.7 fun_plug

#4 2008-09-19 16:14:15

leighv

Hi - thanks. Being a newbie - I am a bit lost in how can I mount the DNS323 from my eeepc, using NFS. What is the HD_a2? Why ismora? What would that be on my network? And why UID and GID as 12345? Thanks.

I mount my DNS323 from my Xandros eeepc.
I mount it using nfs (unfsd on the DNS side).
I guess you can mount it using cifs too, but for a number of reasons I preferred NFS; if you make this choice too, here is how I did it.

The trouble with the eeepc is that it runs a simplified Linux (faster but customized/simplified starting scripts, sometimes reminds me another thing  named ffp...), and there is only one user, named "user", with uid 1000. You cannot create another user and use it to log in. You cannot change the uid of "user". If you try to do so, you'd better be familiar with Linux and ready to hack heavily Asus customized starting scripts and other things (among other things, the unionfs filesystem contains hard to change files owned by uid 1000). Personally I gave up as I found I had to go too far.

So the tricky thing is that, on the DNS, you likely have another uid, and this makes NFS access rights hard to configure.
My solution was to use the following line in /etc/exports:
/mnt/HD_a2/home/ismora 10.0.0.20(rw,all_squash,anonuid=12345,anongid=12345)
This tells NFS to consider ANY user accessing the NFS mounted volume from client 10.0.0.20 (the fixed IP of my eeepc on my home network), as being ismora (uid and gid 12345).
This is not particularly secure, but once again this is valid on my home network only, and it works...

#5 2008-09-19 17:49:49

ismora

/mnt/HD_a2 is (on my NAS) the root of the RAID1 logical volume.
/mnt/HD_a2/home/ismora is my home directory on the DNS.
uid and gid of 12345 are my uid and gid on the DNS (well, not my real ones, but it was for the exemple).

So the /etc/exports line says:
From NFS client with IP 10.0.0.20, which is the eeepc, for whoever is logged on the computer (which will be "user", uid=1000), allow access to /mnt/HD_a2/home/ismora directory, and consider read and write accesses as done by local (DNS) user with uid and gid 12345, which is ismora.
This way I can access my home directory on the DNS being seen by it as myself, although I am "user" on the eeepc.

You don't seem to be familiar with Linux and NFS at all; you should read
http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/

Or use CIFS, but I won't be of any help as I don't use it, so any cifs-howto will do.

DNS-323 • 2x Hitachi 500MB • RAID1 • FW1.04 • ext3 • Fonz's v0.5 fun_plug
DNS-325 • 2x WD Green 2TB • RAID1 • FW?.?? • ext3 • Fonz's v0.7 fun_plug

#6 2008-09-19 18:33:28

leighv

Hi - thanks a million. One last question - I hope - how do I know found out my uid and gid of my DNS? Thanks.

Board footer