DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-10-09 09:38:06

sarge_in

Maintain Hidden Folders & Files?

Finally made the jump to NAS with WD 1 TB + 1 TB setup in RAID 1. Apart from the fact that wireless speeds seems a bit slow with DNS -> Switch -> Router (DIR-655) being all gigabit and laptop -> Router with Wireless N I only get around 4 MB/s uploads and goes to about 10 MB/s if I go 100 mbps wired (is this normal?), I am liking the unit so far.

But my main bone of contention with this thing (and perhaps all Unix-based NAS's) is that I lose the 'hidden' attribute of files and folders. This may well become an issue when I restore some files / folders in future with the currently-hidden files showing up as non-hidden. I wonder of there is any way around this, as this could become a hassle (what with Picasa creating so many hidden folders for storing original pics).

Also, emails do not seem to be working for either the Router (DIR-655) or the DNS. Yahoo seems to fail, while I had it working with my last Netgear router. Any ideas?!

Thanks!

#2 2008-10-09 15:42:38

fordem

Re: Maintain Hidden Folders & Files?

Sorry - I can't comment on the hidden files/folders aspect of your question.

On the transfer speeds, 10MB/s would be about normal for 100 mbps wired.  On wireless - the performance can and may vary dramatically - on wireless-g I see about 3~4MB/s, which corresponds well with the real world throughput of wireless-g (54 mbps theoretical, 25~30 practical), draft wireless-n should give you better performance, but in my limited experience, it does not live up to the hype - 270 mbps theoretical, perhaps 80 practical), the speed you'll actually see will apparently depend heavily on your environment.

Email - you seem to be saying that you cannot get email alerts/logs working from your DNS-323 or your DIR-655 - if I have that correct, it's possibly an issue with your setup or your ISP's mail server - I'm not familiar with the DIR-655, but the DNS-323 is a very basic email setup - SMTP on port 25 only with the option of basic authentication, if your ISP requires anything different, such as a non-standard port or SSL authentication it will fail.

#3 2008-10-09 16:05:36

luusac

sarge_in wrote:

But my main bone of contention with this thing (and perhaps all Unix-based NAS's) is that I lose the 'hidden' attribute of files and folders. This may well become an issue when I restore some files / folders in future with the currently-hidden files showing up as non-hidden. I wonder of there is any way around this, as this could become a hassle (what with Picasa creating so many hidden folders for storing original pics).

Manually change the file/folder permissions?  fun_plug and telnet are required and a minimum of linux knowledge.
By default the dns323 give all files 777 permissions (read/write/execute for owner/group/world) that is why your folders aren't staying hidden.

#4 2008-10-09 17:25:39

bq041

Having a 777 attribute has nothing to do with the files being hidden; it just allows access.  Nothing says that everyone cannot have access to a hidden folder and it stays hidden.  In Linux, hidden file names have to start with a dot, for example .test would be a hidden file.  In windows, this is not the case, it is contained in the attributes, however windows will recognize a dot filename as hidden.

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

#5 2008-10-09 18:11:24

luusac

ok, I understand about the . but if permissions are not set right you can, for example browse a directory but not see any contents, so in effect those files are hidden too

#6 2008-10-09 21:11:26

bq041

I get what you are saying, but those are not hidden files, they are inaccessable files.  A user with adequate rights can see them, but in the case of hidden files, even users with permissions cannot directly see them and must specifically list the hidden files to see them (ls -a).

#7 2008-10-09 23:13:08

sarge_in

Thanks all for the replies!

fordem - Yes I was expecting better performance from the wireless-N - oh well! Email, I tried using yahoo email (I think not). Can this be used? And if yes, any help with settings would be great! And if not, any other free email services that you recommend?

luusac & bq041 - Yes, I undertsand about the 777 permissions etc, but as bq041 pointed, I care more about hidden the way it is in Windows (as opposed to file access permissions). I wonder how people deal with this for e.g. desktop.ini files or thumbnails files that some s/w create when browsing pictures?!

Also, I use Norton Ghost 12 for complete system backups. Do you happen to know if these kind of products can link to NAS for complete system recovery if required (I am able to do that with the USB external drive)?!

#8 2008-10-09 23:21:10

SilentException

hidden files depend on how the samba is set up (smb.conf)

Default: hide dot files = yes

if you set this as no then the dot files won't appear hidden on windows computer

if picassa hidden files have some kind of pattern you can use samba's 'hide files' option:
Default: hide files = # no file are hidden

also you can use permissions and set up samba to mark unreadable (-r) or unwriteable (-w) files as hidden:
Default: hide unreadable = no
Default: hide unwriteable files = no

hope it helps a bit smile

D-Link DNS-323 v1.05 fun_plug-ed + many mods,  2 x 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RAID0, Cat6 Gigabit Network, 9k Jumbo Frames, Average (WRITE): 19,32 MB/sec, Average (READ): 28,6 MB/sec

#9 2008-10-10 00:09:08

halfsoul

sarge_in wrote:

I wonder how people deal with this for e.g. desktop.ini files or thumbnails files that some s/w create when browsing pictures?!

I wonder that as well.  I just try to avoid those types of files as much as possible (no custom icons for folders, all folder views the same, don't use "thumbnails" folder view option, no artwork linked with music, etc.)

#10 2008-10-10 00:51:38

sarge_in

SilentException wrote:

hidden files depend on how the samba is set up (smb.conf)

Default: hide dot files = yes

if you set this as no then the dot files won't appear hidden on windows computer

if picassa hidden files have some kind of pattern you can use samba's 'hide files' option:
Default: hide files = # no file are hidden

also you can use permissions and set up samba to mark unreadable (-r) or unwriteable (-w) files as hidden:
Default: hide unreadable = no
Default: hide unwriteable files = no

hope it helps a bit smile

This helps, but I guess I am looking at it the other way - is there a setting to exactly replicate Windown regular hidden files functionality?!  These files are surely readable as well as writable - and I want to keep them as such. But don't want them to lose the hidden attribute when they are copied back to my computer.

Arghh...I was hoping this NAS would be my panacea from hooking up the USB drive every time I want to backup, but seems I will have to revisit the decision. I do love the fact that the DNS can play all my media on my PS3 more stably than TVersity on my computer, plus I dont need computer to be on.

#11 2008-10-10 01:20:52

fordem

sarge_in wrote:

Thanks all for the replies!

fordem - Yes I was expecting better performance from the wireless-N - oh well! Email, I tried using yahoo email (I think not). Can this be used? And if yes, any help with settings would be great! And if not, any other free email services that you recommend?

Check with your ISP - they may have an email server that you can use to send mail through as a part of the service.

Also, I use Norton Ghost 12 for complete system backups. Do you happen to know if these kind of products can link to NAS for complete system recovery if required (I am able to do that with the USB external drive)?!

I haven't used Ghost since Norton acquired them (I also haven't used Norton products since Symantec acquired them), it works just fine with Acronis TrueImage, and you can do a "bare metal" recovery - put in a new drive, boot from the CD, restore the image and then reboot.

#12 2008-10-10 01:41:04

luusac

sarge_in wrote:

If the root (or subdri I suppose) of the nas drive is mapped in windows I don't see why not.

#13 2008-10-10 05:23:50

bq041

I have had problems with Norton Ghost.  It is a really chopped down and unreliable version of the enterprise Symantec Ghost.  I've never gotten Norton Ghost 10 to work reliable (DNS or locally), but the "real" version of Ghost 11 (Symantec enterprise) works flawlessly with the DNS.  It does require a minimum of 5 licenses and is much more expensive, but it works great.  I have been using Ghost since version 3 back when I was a network engineer, so using the old interface (still on the new version) is really nice, but could be confusing to someone used to the Norton "home" version.

#14 2008-10-10 10:19:48

SilentException

@sarge_in

i suggest you take this approach:

create a new directory on hd. let's name it 'pictures'

create a new share in /etc/samba/smb.conf, copy the lines from HD_a2 share, just change/add these lines at the bottom:

[ pictures ]
path = /mnt/HD_a2/pictures
map archive = yes
map hidden = yes
force create mode = 0000
force directory mode = 0000

this creates a new share called pictures. and in that share samba maps the dos hidden attribute to unix world execute bit of the file.
you copy hidden file, it stays hidden smile

do not forget to copy that smb.conf to let's say /ffp/etc/smb.conf and add these lines near the end of the fun_plug

cp /ffp/etc/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
smb restart

let me know if you have any problems, and if you do, please post your smb.conf too smile

Last edited by SilentException (2008-10-10 10:55:06)

D-Link DNS-323 v1.05 fun_plug-ed + many mods,  2 x 320GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RAID0, Cat6 Gigabit Network, 9k Jumbo Frames, Average (WRITE): 19,32 MB/sec, Average (READ): 28,6 MB/sec

#15 2008-10-11 08:22:23

sarge_in

Wow - this is getting somewhere! Thanks so much!!

I just did the first part (modified the /etc/samba/smb.conf) and did 'smb restart'.
There was no pre-existing smb.conf in /ffp/etc folder. Did you mean cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /ffp/etc/smb.conf?
Also not sure which exact file to append (fun_plug) and where to look for this file? Sorry newbie here, but know basic Unix.
--> Ok figured out what you are doing here.

In any case, the solution works for files now! If I mark a file as hidden, it stays hidden. And stays hidden when I copy it back to my laptop!!

However (there is always one, isn't there?!), I realized I need this for folders as well. E.g. what Picasa does is that it creates a hidden folder called "Originals" to store the original pics. The pic files themselves are not hidden, only the folder is hidden. Any trick for this?!

Also, it seems this 'feature' works only when I map the pictures share directly. If I go to that folder through Volume_1 share, I still see the pictures. I am assuming if I did the edits to the Volume_1 share entries, it would work there as well? Or is that not recommended for any reason?

Thanks again!

Last edited by sarge_in (2008-10-14 10:49:21)

#16 2008-10-11 08:35:59

sarge_in

And good to know the DNS should work with Ghost. I have been using Ghost 12 for about a year and have done 2-3 complete recovers without a hitch from the USB drive!

#17 2008-10-14 17:23:42

SilentException

sarge_in wrote:

Wow - this is getting somewhere! Thanks so much!!

1 I just did the first part (modified the /etc/samba/smb.conf) and did 'smb restart'.
There was no pre-existing smb.conf in /ffp/etc folder. Did you mean cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /ffp/etc/smb.conf?
Also not sure which exact file to append (fun_plug) and where to look for this file? Sorry newbie here, but know basic Unix.
--> Ok figured out what you are doing here.

In any case, the solution works for files now! If I mark a file as hidden, it stays hidden. And stays hidden when I copy it back to my laptop!!

2 However (there is always one, isn't there?!), I realized I need this for folders as well. E.g. what Picasa does is that it creates a hidden folder called "Originals" to store the original pics. The pic files themselves are not hidden, only the folder is hidden. Any trick for this?!

3 Also, it seems this 'feature' works only when I map the pictures share directly. If I go to that folder through Volume_1 share, I still see the pictures. I am assuming if I did the edits to the Volume_1 share entries, it would work there as well? Or is that not recommended for any reason?

Thanks again!

1 /etc is the ramdrive so your changes in smb.conf aren't saved on restart
that's why you have to first edit /etc/samba/smb.conf, test it, then copy /etc/samba/smb.conf to for example /ffp/etc/smb.conf, then edit fun_plug file (on /mnt/HD_a2) to copy your version of smb.conf from ffp and restart smb restart:

cp /ffp/etc/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
smb restart

2 i dont understand this, can you post some screenshots of whats going on (or ls -la on dns-323 side)

3 since default permission on shares is 777 (world execute bit set), if you did this on Volume_1 you'd have bunch of hidden files, that's why i suggested you create a new share for pictures only. of course you can use Volume_1 to do this, i just wouldn't do it smile

#18 2008-10-14 19:38:22

sarge_in

I got the 1) figured.

For 2), what I am saying is, that if I create a hidden folder (not file) in Windows, and copy it to DNS, the folder becomes visible there if I look at it through Windows Explorer. The method you provided made the hidden files stay as hidden, but does not work on folders. I was wondering if there is some way to keep the hidden folders as hidden. I can provide a snapshot later tonight, but hope this somewhat clarifies?

3) I understand this now.

Thanks for your help!!

#19 2008-10-14 22:44:32

SilentException

sarge_in wrote:

I got the 1) figured.

For 2), what I am saying is, that if I create a hidden folder (not file) in Windows, and copy it to DNS, the folder becomes visible there if I look at it through Windows Explorer. The method you provided made the hidden files stay as hidden, but does not work on folders. I was wondering if there is some way to keep the hidden folders as hidden. I can provide a snapshot later tonight, but hope this somewhat clarifies?

3) I understand this now.

Thanks for your help!!

ok i understand. and as far as i could test this doesnt work on directores. its samba limitation.
try to see if you can configure picassa in that way that it uses directory name with . (dot) for original pictures (like .picassa_originals). that way it would still be hidden.

or if the picassa directory for original pictures has the unique name for every gallery you could use hide files samba property i mentioned earlier:

hide files = /picassa_originals/

Last edited by SilentException (2008-10-14 23:13:47)

#20 2008-10-15 07:12:15

sarge_in

Unfortunately, even if I try to create a new folder (or rename existing one) with name starting with . (dot), it gives an error. Seems like I will have to live with this one.

Thanks for your help anyways! At least we now have hidden files working!

#21 2008-10-15 09:35:32

SilentException

have you try "hide files" method too? it works for directories..

SilentException wrote:

or if the picassa directory for original pictures has the unique name for every gallery you could use hide files samba property i mentioned earlier:

hide files = /picassa_originals/

Last edited by SilentException (2008-10-15 09:35:47)

#22 2008-10-16 20:14:25

sarge_in

Yes, I still need to try that. Picasa names all those folders as "Originals", and I don't think there is a way to customize it. So just need to make sure that I dont have any other folders using this name. Will let you know how that goes.

Updated: The Hide Files option worked great! Just have to be careful to mark them as Hidden if I ever copy them back to my laptop.

Also, when I setup a few shares to hide hidden files like you said, it works fine. But when I look at the shares from web gui (Network Access section, I think), it gives me weird shares. I am thinking that is because it is unable to parse the additional info. Of course, if I try to clean that up from the front-end, it deletes all the shares. Any way to fix that? Not that I care too much about that...just curious if it would do anything to them if I created a share from the front-end.

And in the same vein, as the front-end seems broken, how would I assign access to these custom shares to groups and users like the front-end allows?

Thanks!

Last edited by sarge_in (2008-10-17 06:53:59)

Board footer