DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-10-07 14:14:03

kenyloveg

Urgent!!!Data recovery after formatted disk

Hi, fellows
I made a big mistake! DNS 323 indicate me to format disk 1 after i inserted a new disk 2, and i was not even noticed.
Then  terrible thing happend, dns 323 formated my disk 1.
Let me cut the xxxx, could you please tell me how to recover disk 1 data in anyway by myself?
Is these any tool in fun_plug available to do this? Or other windows/linux software are able to do this?
Somebody help me please, and thank you at all.
ps: i did not write any data to disk.

#2 2008-10-07 14:41:50

luusac

Re: Urgent!!!Data recovery after formatted disk

kenyloveg wrote:

i did not write any data to disk.

good! keep the disk isolated (physically disconnected) until you find a solution.

As to your question, I think that I remember somebody else posting here about data recovery.  So, search on the forum.

This is not a specific dns323 question - you can also try posting on linux forums and see if anyone can help you there.

See also http://www.stellarinfo.com/linux-data-recovery.htm

remember when looking for tools the disk format is not NTFS or FAT, but rather EXT2 (or possibly EXT3)

lu

#3 2008-10-07 14:59:49

kenyloveg

Hi, luusac
Thanks for your quick reply.
I'm wondering which tool is the best to recover data after misformatting.
Here is the choice:
R-Studio
Ontrack Easy recovery
Stellar Phoenix Linux - Data Recovery Software
or any other choice?

Thanks all.

#4 2008-10-07 16:49:13

luusac

I haven't used any of them so can't give an opinion really.  I think some of them offer trial versions, which just tell you what the full version can recover, before you buy.
lu

#5 2008-10-14 11:54:56

kenyloveg

Easy Recovery and R-Studio won't work, and Stellar Phoenix will crash at the end of scan process.
Someone tell me what else i can use please?

#6 2008-10-14 15:31:34

index monkey

Are you crazy?? fordem is going to tell you off about your lack of backups any second!! smile
have a look here:-
http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~mojo/undelete.html
I haven't been unfortunate enough to require this. good luck.

honestly all I did was type ext2 undelete into google.
I cant be there for you every time you want to search the web.

DNS-323, HW B1, 2 x 2TB WD green, fw 1.08, fun_plug 0.5, transmission, automatic, nzbget newsreader & rsync time machine backup.

#7 2008-10-14 20:40:59

fordem

index monkey wrote:

Are you crazy?? fordem is going to tell you off about your lack of backups any second!! smile
have a look here:-
http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~mojo/undelete.html
I haven't been unfortunate enough to require this. good luck.

honestly all I did was type ext2 undelete into google.
I cant be there for you every time you want to search the web.

Believe me I was tempted - but he's in enough grief right now, and trust me - after this experience, he WILL backup.

It's better to expound on the need for backup before the data is lost - after it happens the needs is sometimes painfully obvious.

#8 2008-10-20 16:00:56

kenyloveg

Well, after 10 days 24hr scanning and recovering, proofed these softwares won't work after a format operation was taken on ext2 file system.
Ontrack won't recognize ext2 format even RAW file recovery won't recognize any files.
Stellar will crash on a Vista SP1 system after 6 or 7 hours scanning process, works great on XP SP3. But all files recovered by Stellar are not usable, one file type has only one size, like all JPEG files are 48KB.
R-Data act like the Stellar but scanning speed is better that Stellar, also no files can be recovered.
Guess that's why Linux is more secure than Windows smile
I can't search out that there is a format tag ever been found while there is a delete tag.
Hope this could be helpful to anybody else.

#9 2008-10-20 19:11:55

fordem

kenyloveg wrote:

Well, after 10 days 24hr scanning and recovering, proofed these softwares won't work after a format operation was taken on ext2 file system.
Ontrack won't recognize ext2 format even RAW file recovery won't recognize any files.
Stellar will crash on a Vista SP1 system after 6 or 7 hours scanning process, works great on XP SP3. But all files recovered by Stellar are not usable, one file type has only one size, like all JPEG files are 48KB.
R-Data act like the Stellar but scanning speed is better that Stellar, also no files can be recovered.
Guess that's why Linux is more secure than Windows smile
I can't search out that there is a format tag ever been found while there is a delete tag.
Hope this could be helpful to anybody else.

Are you running the tools as they are intended to be run (with the disk directly attached to the system the tool is being run on) and booted into an OS that can read the file system - or are you running it across the network?

Somehow when I read this ...

I can only assume that you're either running a windows version of stellar either across the network (if such a thing is possible) or on an ext2 format disk.

And no - the theoretical improved security of linux over Windows has nothing to do with this.

#10 2008-10-21 04:02:46

kenyloveg

Hi, fordem
I got 2 desktop system, one is running Vista SP1 and other XPPSP3. The disk was attached to system directly.
The shame is i didn't realize this kind of stuff earlier...

Board footer