DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-03-05 18:06:19

Nogga

Setup DNS-323 first with single drive, attach 2nd to extend to RAID 1

Hello,

I recently bought the NAS and installed a single 500GB drive in it. I do have a second hard drive of the same size und would like to put it next to the existing one to create a RAID 1 array.

What is the best approach to do this without loosing any data?

My suggestion would be:

1. Remove 1st (full) hard drive
2. Put 2nd hard drive into it (in the other slot)
3. Format the 2nd drive
4. Put the 1st drive back in it
5. Start the creation of the RAID 1 array

It this secure? Do I loose any files?

Thanks for your help.
Alex

#2 2009-03-05 18:59:02

luusac

Re: Setup DNS-323 first with single drive, attach 2nd to extend to RAID 1

I think there are several posts on this - including one not that long ago

#3 2009-03-06 08:16:25

lambretta

luusac wrote:

I think there are several posts on this - including one not that long ago

I to am getting a bit nervous about adding a new disk to my existing single disk DNS-323.  I would like it to become a two disk RAID 1 NAS. 

Care to enlighten us on this other post/s you talk about?  It would be helpful to others to get the recommended procedure that has been used in the field and proven to not loose data.

#4 2009-03-06 14:48:50

lambretta

Could someone please offer me some advice on how to acheieve what I have set out to do.  I am running FW 1.06.

I first set my DNS-323 up with just one HDD in he right hand bay.  I now wish to insert another drive in the left hand bay and employ RAID 1.  I do NOT want to loose any data and would prefer not having to tfr all the data currently on the one disk that I have been using.

Tonight I removed the existing HDD and inserted the new HDD in the left hand slot and proceeded to format the new drive.  I then shut it down and inserted the old HDD back into the gight bay and powered up.  i now have two HDD which seem to be working fine.

When I now go into TOOLS-->RAID and select the RAID1 option it says "You are about to re-format the hard drive(s).  All data will be erased.  Do you wish to continue?" - Obviously i choose 'NO'.

Is there a way of creating the RAID1 array which will then mirror the data on the old HDD to the new HDD without reformating both drives??

#5 2009-03-06 19:23:22

fordem

First - and most important - RAID1 is not a form of backup, even with a RAID1 array you will still need to backup your data, I would suggest you find a way to do it and do it as a first step, buy another drive if you have to.

Second - adding the second drive and formatting it as a standard volume was not the best thing to do - if you had left the first drive in, and installed the second drive, when you were prompted to format it, there would have been a check box in the prompt screen, which if checked would have formatted the second drive and then syncronised the array.

Now - how do you get from where you are now to where you want to be?

Well - I can make suggestions, but, since there are risks involved you have to make your own decisions - and I've already made the first - back up the data NOW.

Next suggestion - take the new disk out of the DNS-323, put it in a PC and remove all the partitions, and then put it back in with the existing disk, and hopefully it prompts you like I described above, and hopefully it formats the disk it should.

What's the risk of it going awry?  I'd say even 50/50 - the unit tracks the disks by serial number and will know that the disk you have just inserted has been used before, so you have an increased risk of it getting confused as compared to if it had never seen the disk before.

#6 2009-03-06 19:23:47

mig

lambretta wrote:

Could someone please offer me some advice on how to acheieve what I have set out to do.

My advice:

1) backup your data
2) use the web GUI to setup your disks as RAID1

if you are lucky you are done smile

if you are unlucky sad  (your data gets wiped out by the web GUI)
3) [optional, only necessary if you experience a problem] restore you data from the backup.

Last edited by mig (2009-03-06 19:25:58)

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

#7 2009-03-08 09:28:21

lambretta

OK.  Started again, formated both disks in RAID 1 config.  Have now got the config (rtorrent, shell access, etc etc) back to where I had it and am tfrg back the data that once was on it.  Thanks to all for your advice.

Board footer