DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 2009-03-23 14:32:56

fordem

Re: Using the DNS323 print server

The problem is going to be related to the particular PC that is giving trouble rather than the 323, so focus your attention there - the firewall or internet security suite (if you're running one) is a good place to start.

Also - if I may, I want to especially emphasize, security suites can be quite challenging, McAfee in particular (I don't, in fact, won't use Norton, and will uninstall it as a first step, if it comes pre-installed, on anything I purchase).  As the security risk have increased, the security suites have become more vigilant and anti-virus/anti-SPAM/anti-spyware software will now block ports as a control measure making it necessary to configure it to allow access as required, and you may find it necessary to uninstall the software simply to determine whether or not it contributes to the problem, disabling it does not always work.

Just in case you're curious, McAfee will usually uninstall & reinstall quite cleanly, Norton, on the other hand can be a royal PITA

#27 2009-03-23 14:55:18

Winemaker01

Thankyou. I will look at security on the problem PC. I am using the 323 as a back up system. Each computer has a folder where its back up application does incremental back ups. I run the 323 in Raid 1 for disk redundancy and plan on buying a new 1.5TB drive at some stage in the future and hot swapping the three over time and inbetween time I keep the 3rd off site.

The print server was a nice bonus. I am very impressed with this device.

#28 2009-03-23 14:59:08

fordem

Be warned ...

1 - hot swapping is not supported
2 - you WILL create problems for yourself swapping drives in a RAID1 configuration
3 - that's not what RAID is for.

#29 2009-03-23 15:31:22

Winemaker01

Thanks again. So I have misunderstood RAID1. I need to cold swap? ie place a new blank drive in? That will then get mirrored to the remaining drive when turned on again? My desire is to have drives purchased at different times to minimize both drives dying close together because as I understand Raid 1 it has two drives that mirror each other so that if one dies the other is OK, but having 2 identical drives purchased from same store at same time has a higher chance of both failing close together.

#30 2009-03-23 16:45:34

fordem

The purpose of RAID1 is to minimize the downtime caused by drive failure - I would suggest that you not swap unless you have a failed drive, and that you have your data backed up elsewhere before swapping - as my signature says RAID1 is not for data backup.

Board footer