DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-08-21 02:50:30

armen52
Website

Web server dies on login, please help

Hey guys, I have put off dealing with this issue because it's been frustrating me but I finally need to address it due to some changes in my network's setup. The IP I had given to my DNS-323 originally will no longer work as I'm on a different subnet now and I'm unable to log in to the web interface to change it.

Several months ago I enabled the built-in iTunes media server (mt-daapd?) but after doing so I was having trouble turning the feature back off using the web interface so I found some way to disable mt-daapd (it doesn't run anymore, but I can't remember how I did it exactly) and all was well. Now I cannot log in to the web interface at all. Every time I try to do so, I am redirected to a blank page at http://192.168.1.160/goform/formLogin and then the web server process dies. I have confirmed this numerous times by running a 'ps' command before and after attempting to log in, /web/webs disappears.

It restarts itself after a few minutes but I am never able to log in. If I try to restart it manually all i see is:

/ # /web/webs
rm: cannot remove '/tmp/set_ddns_done': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/tmp/set_ddns_error': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove '/web/ddns_start': No such file or directory
$Shutting down SMB services:
$Shutting down NMB services:
$Starting SMB services:
$Starting NMB services:
language=1

And it stops there. I have looked through the forums and found some people with similar symptoms but their root cause seemed to have been corrupt Dynamic DNS configuration files, mostly with bad line endings. I'm on an OS X machine and I've never used a Windows box to administer the unit so I should be safe from that issue. Nevertheless I have checked the contents of the common culprit file and it seems to match with the "correct" contents from http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t2011-Help … DNS32.html.

I have no problems using the device as configured... I can still log in via the FTP credentials I set up and the Samba volumes are accessible and working just fine. Also here is a process list on the box after it starts up:

/ # ps
PID   USER     COMMAND
    1 root     init                               
    2 root     [ksoftirqd/0]
    3 root     [events/0]
    4 root     [khelper]
    5 root     [kthread]
   11 root     [kblockd/0]
   14 root     [khubd]
   49 root     [pdflush]
   50 root     [pdflush]
   52 root     [aio/0]
   51 root     [kswapd0]
  189 root     [scsi_eh_0]
  190 root     [scsi_eh_1]
  197 root     [mtdblockd]
  214 root     [kcryptd/0]
  215 root     [kmirrord/0]
  226 root     [loop0]
1097 root     atd
1339 root     chkbutton
1366 root     fancontrol
1414 root     op_server 3 3 3
1421 root     -sh
1448 root     pure-ftpd (SERVER)                                                                 
1477 root     lpd Waiting
1565 root     /ffp/sbin/telnetd -l /ffp/bin/sh
1571 root     /ffp/bin/sh
1748 root     /web/webs
1757 root     crond
1774 root     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
1778 root     /usr/sbin/samba/smbd -D
1779 root     /usr/sbin/samba/nmbd -D
1830 root     /ffp/bin/sh
1953 root     ps

What looks wrong here? I've run out of ideas and info to go on so I'm hoping someone here can help me take the next step in getting access to my web interface back. I posted follow-ups on a few threads back in March where folks had similar issues but there were no responses or solutions offered.

Honestly if I could somehow preserve the data on the drive I wouldn't care if I just had to reconfigure the whole thing from scratch again I'm so tired of trying to fix it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by armen52 (2009-08-21 03:05:46)

#2 2009-08-22 12:35:57

luusac

Re: Web server dies on login, please help

armen52 wrote:

Honestly if I could somehow preserve the data on the drive I wouldn't care if I just had to reconfigure the whole thing from scratch again I'm so tired of trying to fix it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Reset the box to get dhcp working again: http://dns323.kood.org/howto:hardware_reset

In the worst case you should always be able to pull the drives and mount them in windows with the ext2ifs or on a linux box, but that really shouldn't be necessary.

#3 2009-08-24 11:46:47

armen52
Website

So with a hardware reset will I lose any of the data on the drive? Or will that be preserved? I don't care to redo all the configuration settings as long as the data is safe. (Data is never truly safe without a backup, yes, I know thanks).

#4 2009-08-25 21:58:16

armen52
Website

I just did a hardware reset and got web access back. I've reconfigured everything via the web interface. Everything is working fine, no data loss whatsoever. Just going to stay away from the media server features. I think they choke on libraries of >120GB of MP3 files. Thanks.

Board footer