DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-09-03 11:14:24

jig

so many questions...

sorry, but i have a list of newb questions about what i can try with a 323:

1) is there any way that i can use the debian chroot environment to format either of the internal volumes as ext3?

2) can i run funplug while in raid 1 mode?

3) is there any way, other than completing a full debian install, to create a sharable fat32 partition on the internal drives?

4) does running funplug replace the DLINK firmware while it's running, or is the DLINK firmware running like an overlay/base system? in other words, how much of the DLINK firmware capability can I access while in funplug mode?

the problem is, i like the DLINK interface, but want to upgrade various aspects of their install.... and the kernel modules link on the wiki front page is dead (and seems to have been for some time). my dream is to use this box to run raid 1 (just a mirror), with two partitions - ext3 (hopefully under stable circumstances) and fat32 (chalk that up to an old, dumb DOS program), with all the green settings enabled and working (including the fan speed), along with UPS-off capability. i have another system i can use with something like freenas that can probably do a large portion of that, but this box is so quiet and compartmentalized and energy efficient... i'm sure you feel my pain.

thanks much,

-jig

#2 2009-09-03 15:55:10

st0rm

Re: so many questions...

2) Yes

#3 2009-09-03 17:16:01

luusac

running a fun_plug won't do anything to the dlink stock firmware - you can access all features.  But you can also use a fun_plug to replace functionality provided by the firmware - e.g. a lot of people use a fun_plug to make different torrent, media or file servers available and don't use the firmware ones.  Don't confuse ffp with fun_plug - the latter uses the fact that the device looks for a file called fun_plug on bootup in order to run, but it is perfectly possible to have your own fun_plug without installing ffp (but many would ask why would you want to do that when ffp is so damn good/useful).

think of fun_plug as a script file that is run on boot - you can put in there whatever you want (depending on what you want and whether binaries are available).  In principle, fun_plug, is like  autoexec.bat if you can remember back that far ;-)  Sorry if that sounds like heresy.

#4 2009-09-03 18:47:07

jig

cool, thanks. my guess is that if using ffp or some other fun_plug script to create multiple partitions and/or use ext3 were possible, someone would have done it already. and i don't see that capability mentioned in the wiki or forum posts, even with the debian chroot process. does that sound about right?

thanks for the replies!

#5 2009-09-03 19:59:21

luusac

I think witrh early firmware ext3 was used, but then went to ext2.  I think that I have read that ext3 is being reintroduced in the latest firmware (but check the change log for f/w 1.08 beta to be sure).  Once you have a console, it is possible to partition using standard linux tools - some pole use it for creating/breaking raid setups, but you need to know what you are doing.  As to a shareable fat partition - I don't know.  What you could do is have a pen drive/usb stick or external drive in a usb enclosure, mount that with a fun_plug and have a symlink pointing to it (I think that you wouldn't be able to address it directly (i.e. it wouldn't show up as Vol_xx via a browser) but via another drive it may be possible).  I am not sure what the fat support is like though (I think I have read that ntfs support is very bad and people lose data).

#6 2009-09-03 21:11:04

fordem

I could be wrong but I don't think a shareable FAT partition is required for what he wants - in DOS, the network redirector masks the file system type from the OS, so just as Windows sees the ext2/ext3 file system on the DNS-323, presented as SMB/CIFS by the SAMBA demon as NTFS, DOS should see it as FAT.

I tried using the DNS-323 a few years back with an old Win98 system (which is where the FAT32 file system was introduced) and it if I recall correctly I had no problems accessing the shared ext2 file systems

#7 2009-09-05 03:06:25

luusac

fordem wrote:

I could be wrong but I don't think a shareable FAT partition is required for what he wants - in DOS, the network redirector masks the file system type from the OS, so just as Windows sees the ext2/ext3 file system on the DNS-323, presented as SMB/CIFS by the SAMBA demon as NTFS, DOS should see it as FAT.

True (didn't read that bit!).  May need the network path to be mapped to make life easier for the dos program ....

#8 2009-09-08 07:00:29

jig

it'll definitely be mapped - this make things sound good. i haven't gotten around to it, but shortly i will hook up the 323 to the network and test wordperfect 3.1 access. there were insurmountable glitches with ntfs (on a win2k machine) as the mapped share, and the glitches disappeared once we changed the filesystem to fat32. i don't remember the error statements exactly, but it led me to believe that the extra metadata (user, permissions) was causing the problem.

if samba can strip all that extra stuff and make it look like fat to a dos program, then i should be golden. a possible problem is that the host system for the dos program is winxp (which i guess means i may have to force samba to share it as FAT, which in turn means that i may need to access the console to do it).

i'm very glad for the further replies - if you or anyone else has more input, it would be greatly appreciated.

#9 2009-09-08 19:00:52

luusac

jig wrote:

if samba can strip all that extra stuff and make it look like fat to a dos program, then i should be golden. a possible problem is that the host system for the dos program is winxp (which i guess means i may have to force samba to share it as FAT, which in turn means that i may need to access the console to do it).

I think Fordem is right - you are operating at a different layer to fat - your OS, XP, will take care of the hard work for you - your dos shell/wordperfect won't see fat, they won't see ntfs or ext, its all hidden at a lower level - 'software' shouldn't care what file storage system you are using because your OS sits inbetween and manages the process for you.  I don't remember w/p 3.1 - I do remember 5.1 though - I used to run it on an Amstrad 1512 with 2 x 5.25" floppies and no hard disk (yes that right, no hard disk) - you had to swap the floppies when loading word perfect just to get it in memory!

In order to avoid problems you may want to stick to the 8.3 filename convention.

#10 2009-09-09 01:11:18

jig

sorry - typo - wp5.1. there definitely was a problem when using ntfs as the share... i'll just have to test things again.

Board footer