DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-10-01 14:34:13

nixter

Best way to transfer large data to 323?

First off my skill level is relatively low so go easy please!

I have a 323 setup as Raid1 with 2x 1tb drives. I have an external usb hdd that has about 400gig worth of data that I want to transfer to the 323. I tried connecting the external drive to my router (airport extreme with usb drive support) but I was getting a transfer speed of about 4.5/mbps which would take forever. I read about the usb hack for the 323 and wondered if I could plug the external drive into the 323 and copy the data directly? I've installed ffp 0.5 and I'm wondering what I need to do now.

Thanks,

N

#2 2009-10-01 14:54:30

Mijzelf
Member / Developer

Re: Best way to transfer large data to 323?

#3 2009-10-01 16:17:22

oxygen
Website

nixter wrote:

I have an external usb hdd that has about 400gig worth of data that I want to transfer to the 323. I tried connecting the external drive to my router (airport extreme with usb drive support) but I was getting a transfer speed of about 4.5/mbps which would take forever.

Thats nonsense. If you copy'n'paste files in the windows explorer or in finder from one network device (airport) to an other (dns-323) the files are transfered to your desktop and then to the DNS-323, which cuts the speed in half. just connect the drive to your deskop/laptop and use a wired connection to the dns-323.

#4 2009-10-02 17:38:26

texasbluesplayer

Well since your skill level is kind of low you may not know what the previous guy was saying about connecting the NAS directly to your computer so I'm going to go over the steps in case you needed them. What you need to do is create a sort of mini-network from your computer to your NAS. The way you do this is several steps:

assign an IP Address to your NAS (ex: 192.168.0.32)
now go to your computer and find the view network connections
right click on your LAN connection> select Properties> click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)>click Properties>
select the Use the following IP Address
Type 192.168.0.40 (only change the last number from the NAS IP)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Click OK and you should now be in the same network as your NAS.

Now you can find the NAS by going to Windows Explorer and selecting My Network Places, doing a right click and selecting Explore on several levels
You should be able to find your NAS in Microsoft Windows Network and now you can just drag and drop files into the NAS. My PC is at Gigabit Ethernet so it transfers pretty fast. When you're done, don't forget to go back to your PC and put your IP address setting as before.

#5 2009-10-02 19:07:48

fordem

texasbluesplayer wrote:

Well since your skill level is kind of low you may not know what the previous guy was saying about connecting the NAS directly to your computer so I'm going to go over the steps in case you needed them. What you need to do is create a sort of mini-network from your computer to your NAS.

Look closely - that's NOT what the previous guy was suggesting.

oxygen wrote:

Thats nonsense. If you copy'n'paste files in the windows explorer or in finder from one network device (airport) to an other (dns-323) the files are transfered to your desktop and then to the DNS-323, which cuts the speed in half. just connect the drive to your deskop/laptop and use a wired connection to the dns-323.

What oxygen is suggesting is that he disconnect the external USB drive from the router and connect it to the computer instead.

Rather than go from "external drive on router" across the network to the computer and then across the network a second time to the DNS-323, this becomes a single trip across the network from the external drive attached to the computer directly to the DNS-323

#6 2009-10-02 20:12:04

nixter

Thanks for the replies guys. I had suspected that the way I first tried it required the data to transfer wirelessly so then I connected my laptop to the router directly and connected my ext HDD to my laptop. This increased transfer time to about 16/mbs which was good enough. Had I also connected the NAS directly to my computer would transfer time have been even greater? Airport Extreme is supposedly gigabit.

#7 2009-10-02 20:16:19

toolbox

Just for discussion sake. If OP is able to mount the USB drive off the USB port of his/her DNS-323, what other software does the DNS-323 need in order to read/write NTFS/FAT files? (From the original post, I assume the dirve is not formatted to ext2 or ext3.)

#8 2009-10-02 21:08:48

fordem

toolbox wrote:

Just for discussion sake. If OP is able to mount the USB drive off the USB port of his/her DNS-323, what other software does the DNS-323 need in order to read/write NTFS/FAT files? (From the original post, I assume the dirve is not formatted to ext2 or ext3.)

Just for discussion sake - if the OP is able to mount the USB drive off the USB port of the DNS-323 no other software is required to read/write NTFS/FAT files - once the drive has been mounted the files can simply be copied to the desired location.

However - in order to mount the USB drive off the USB port he needs telnet access, along with USB and NTFS kernel modules - there are a couple of threads in the forum that provide the details - it's not difficult, but for a linux newb, it can be challenging.

#9 2009-10-02 21:18:27

nixter

Thanks guys. I'm confident I could figure out the telnet stuff as I used do that when I was in film school. I'd telnet in from home and take over computers to set off renders on their network. smile That was 13 years ago though so I'm rusty. I went with my solution because there was a low learning curve. I still want to learn more tricks with the 323 so I'll no doubt geek out when I have more time.

Thanks.

Board footer