DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-10-29 16:17:50

perfectdark

Please Help cannot install fun_plig

Hi

Sorry to post this (i hate when people post for basic help) but i have googled and tried but cannot get this to install on my DNS-323

I downloaded the fun_plug and fun_plug.tgz on the root of my dns-323 volume_1

i have rebooted the dns-323

but the fun_plug.tgz is still a zip file and i tried telnetiing to the dns-323 with no success
Everywhere i have read, it says to simply copy both files over and reboot, what am i doing wrong?

#2 2010-10-29 16:22:13

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Re: Please Help cannot install fun_plig

perfectdark wrote:

what am i doing wrong?

You're not reading the Wiki:
http://dns323.kood.org/howto:ffp#troubleshooting

#3 2010-10-29 16:42:41

perfectdark

Hi Fonz

I read that link and the how to install http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.5/README.txt  from you i believe

"Getting started on DNS-323 and CH3SNAS:

Copy fun_plug and fun_plug.tgz to Volume 1 and reboot. If
  successful, the fun_plug.tgz file is unpacked (ffp directory) and
  deleted. A telnet server is started.

"

i did these steps ... I'm sorry if i'm blind but i don't see what i am missing here

I just copied the same fun_plug files to my volume_2 and rebooted (so its on both vol_1 and 2) and noticed this optware.log file that wasn't there before..

Fri Oct 29 10:00:03 DST 2010
grep: illegal option -- w
BusyBox v1.00-pre1 (2009.05.07-06:36+0000) multi-call binary

Usage: grep [-ihHnqvs] PATTERN [FILEs...]

groupadd: No such file or directory
ln: /opt: File exists
ln: /bin/dirname: File exists
tar: Unrecognised file type
/mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug: cannot create /opt/etc/ipkg.conf: No such file or directory
ipkg: No such file or directory
.: Can't open /mnt/HD_a4/opt/etc/profile
touch: /opt/var/run/utmp: No such file or directory
touch: /opt/var/log/btmp: No such file or directory
touch: /opt/var/log/lastlog: No such file or directory
touch: /opt/var/log/wtmp: No such file or directory

Last edited by perfectdark (2010-10-29 17:07:26)

#4 2010-10-29 19:50:04

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

You don't get an optware.log from my fun_plug script. Seems you're mixing up things.

#5 2010-10-29 20:18:53

perfectdark

fonz wrote:

You don't get an optware.log from my fun_plug script. Seems you're mixing up things.

ok, i hadn't noticed that file so i thought it was related

So could you please explain what i am doing wrong?

#6 2010-10-30 01:44:22

FunFiler

If I were you, I'd start over following the wiki and download the files again as it seems you may have the wrong ones if they are installing files that are not part of the proper package.

3 * (DNS-323 with 2 * 2TB) = 12TB Running FW v1.08 & FFP v0.5
Useful Links: Transmission, Transmission Remote, Automatic

#7 2010-10-30 01:53:28

perfectdark

I guess I'll give up
I'm using the wiki files and i've tried others from various sites
installed them on vol_1 , vol_2 and both at same time
nothing is working
and i've read the "how to" which is as simple as simple can be, still doesn't work

#8 2010-10-30 02:31:44

karlrado

You didn't follow the instructions correctly or somehow got on the wrong wiki.  Otherwise you would not be seeing an optware file and not trying to put things on Volume_2.

I agree; start over.  Remove anything that you added to your disks as part of this effort.

Go to

http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.5/

and download the last two items:

fun_plug
fun_plug.tgz

Copy them both from the machine you downloaded them to onto the Volume_1 share and reboot.  Then pick up the instructions on:

http://dns323.kood.org/howto:ffp

Perhaps follow the first link in the Installation - DNS-323 section - nas-tweaks.net.  The wiki page itself is rather confusing but still usable if you read the whole thing carefully.

DNS-323 FW 1.07 : 2 1TB WD Caviar Green SATA : fun_plug: utelnet + optware (no ffp)

#9 2010-10-30 04:31:38

bound4h

perfectdark wrote:

I guess I'll give up

Well that would be futile, why don't you just start over.  FFP has a lot of things to be desired, assuming you bought your NAS just for data storage...

Would not give up, plenty of semi-noobs on here to help you.  smile

#10 2010-10-30 15:09:43

perfectdark

karlrado wrote:

You didn't follow the instructions correctly or somehow got on the wrong wiki.  Otherwise you would not be seeing an optware file and not trying to put things on Volume_2.

I agree; start over.  Remove anything that you added to your disks as part of this effort.

Go to

http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.5/

and download the last two items:

fun_plug
fun_plug.tgz

Copy them both from the machine you downloaded them to onto the Volume_1 share and reboot.  Then pick up the instructions on:

http://dns323.kood.org/howto:ffp

Perhaps follow the first link in the Installation - DNS-323 section - nas-tweaks.net.  The wiki page itself is rather confusing but still usable if you read the whole thing carefully.

first thanks for the post
secoond, your not readiing my posts properly.  When i referenced that i had the files on Vol_2 that was because i tried them on Vol_1 rebooted nothing changed, so i tried Vol_2 nothing changed (except i noticed this optaware file) and i've tried files on both Vol_1 and Vol_2 at the same time nothing changed
i am reading wiki and i've done some google searches, also found another guy who has 2 DNS-323 units and said for whatever reason only one would take the fun_plug install and he was doing it the same way on both

I have redownloaded both your files directly to DNS-323 ... rebooted nothing
I also downloaded them to my PC and used FTP to transfer them to DNS-323 nothing

"Getting started on DNS-323 and CH3SNAS:

Copy fun_plug and fun_plug.tgz to Volume 1 and reboot. If
  successful, the fun_plug.tgz file is unpacked (ffp directory) and
  deleted. A telnet server is started."

I did it again...... I don't see any new directories and cannot open a telnet session

Last edited by perfectdark (2010-10-30 15:13:21)

#11 2010-10-30 15:35:38

bound4h

Reformat both drives and drop both files on both volumes and reboot. smile

#12 2010-10-30 16:06:49

perfectdark

bound4h wrote:

Reformat both drives and drop both files on both volumes and reboot. smile

I have over 1.6tb of data on both drives that I cannot format

#13 2010-10-30 17:48:23

JamesD

I'm making a silly guess here, but it may be that the drives are in the wrong slots. I ran for a while with a single drive in the left slot, not the drive 0 right slot. Since there was only one drive, the 323 made it volume 1. When I added a new drive, is was set up as vloume 2, even though it was in the right slot.

It took some fiddling to get them recognised as the right volume in the right slot. If I remember, I had to pull the drives, put volume 1 in the right-hand slot, shut down, restart, shut down again, add the volume 2 drive in the left-hand slot, restart. Then the two drives were in the right slot with the right labels.

It may be that the firmware is looking for a funplug file in partition 4 of the right-hand drive, and not going by volume labels. Once funplug starts, it may be using volume labels, hence the failure.

Anyway, that's my SWAG. (silly wild-ass guess)

Jim

#14 2010-10-30 21:38:09

perfectdark

JamesD wrote:

I'm making a silly guess here, but it may be that the drives are in the wrong slots. I ran for a while with a single drive in the left slot, not the drive 0 right slot. Since there was only one drive, the 323 made it volume 1. When I added a new drive, is was set up as vloume 2, even though it was in the right slot.

It took some fiddling to get them recognised as the right volume in the right slot. If I remember, I had to pull the drives, put volume 1 in the right-hand slot, shut down, restart, shut down again, add the volume 2 drive in the left-hand slot, restart. Then the two drives were in the right slot with the right labels.

It may be that the firmware is looking for a funplug file in partition 4 of the right-hand drive, and not going by volume labels. Once funplug starts, it may be using volume labels, hence the failure.

Anyway, that's my SWAG. (silly wild-ass guess)

Jim

I thought it could be something like to too, which is why i put the fun_plug files on both drives

#15 2010-10-30 22:32:41

FunFiler

Good try, but it won't work that way.

Also, be sure that you didn't add a file extension to the fun_plug script. Some operating systems or browsers may have done this.

I wasn't sure from your post if you created a share and copied the files to the volume_1 root or if you just tried via FTP. If you didn't, give it a try.

If you FTP, be sure to use binary to send the gz file and ascii to send the script.

Do you have a spare drive of any size that you can install, format and play around with? (500GB drives are under $50 these days) Might make troubleshooting easier if you could at least try it out.

Also, make sure you named it correctly smile as the title of the tread has the wrong name LOL

Last edited by FunFiler (2010-10-30 22:38:30)

3 * (DNS-323 with 2 * 2TB) = 12TB Running FW v1.08 & FFP v0.5
Useful Links: Transmission, Transmission Remote, Automatic

#16 2010-11-02 08:49:24

markpianosax

I just got this working after having the same issues.  A few things to re-stress, that I learned here (and by experiment):
A) My web browser wanted to unpack the fun_plug.tgz to fun_plug.tar (not what the script expects), don't use Safari, I succeeded with Firefox (on a Mac).
B) My web browser also wanted to rename fun_plug to fun_plug.sh.  Renaming or using Firefox clears this up
C) Still didn't work.  Reformatted disks as simple disks Ext3, no luck
D) Tried suggestion here and in another thread, use FTP.  Finally success.
E) I see you tried FTP, but check permissions afterward, maybe your download path is causing problems.  In ftp type "ls -l" and see what permissions the two files have.  If not 777, consider "ftp> chmod 777 fun_plug"  and "ftp> chmod 666 fun_plug.tgz".  I did not have to try this but maybe you do.  Also be sure in FTP to cd to Volume_1, before any of this, and remember the suggestions to type "ascii" before "put fun_plug", and "binary" before "put fun_plug.tgz".  Check file lengths against originals using " ls -l".

Good Luck.

#17 2010-11-27 08:08:18

kevindt

If you are using Windows to download and transfer the files, there is normally not much problem.  Make sure they come from the right site and are named correctly.  Mac is different, however.  It causes problems since Unix permissions are preserved in files transferred over samba from the Mac to the NAS.  The downloaded file will not have the execute permission set, so will not run.  You need to set it.

If using a Mac, assuming the file is on the Mac Desktop before transfer to the NAS, open Terminal on the Mac and type in:

chmod 777 /Users/(your Mac username)/Desktop/fun_plug and <return>

The icon for the file should change to a "computer screen" - the icon for an executable file.

Now transfer it to Volume_1 on the NAS using Finder.

Reboot the NAS.

Board footer