DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1551 2011-01-30 21:29:16

KyleK

Re: [REL] Transmission 1.3

As an alternative, you can run Transmission as the same user that you use to access the data with via Samba/Windows File Sharing. Then you can copy/move/delete files to your heart's desire.

This will allow only you though this priviledge, not other accounts.

#1552 2011-01-30 21:37:13

KyleK

I've packaged up Transmission 2.20 beta2 for you guys to test.

Important: I've made changes to the startup script (/ffp/start/transmissions.h) and modified the path where Transmission stores its settings. This is to make it more concise with how other daemons do it.
Transmission settings will now be saved in the folder /ffp/var/transmission (previously: /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon), the logfile will be stored at /ffp/var/log/transmission-daemon.log (previously: /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/transmission-daemon.log)
Also, Transmission is now started as a real daemon (before it always ran in foreground and was forced into a bg process by the shell).

If you want to go with these changes, make sure to copy/move your current settings folder to the new location:

Code:

$ mv /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon /ffp/var/transmission

Folder and files should also have the same user rights as before the move.

If you don't want this change, just make a copy of your current /ffp/start/transmission.sh, install the beta, and then simply copy back your script.

#1553 2011-01-31 00:35:17

Ruebban

Im getting fucking annoying, why cant i remove the files and folders inside my /Downloads folder when i have mounted it inwindows 7 or on a mac, it' s says i dont have acesss to them, i need to remove the files. Do i h ave to chmod or something? Please help

#1554 2011-01-31 01:13:29

wtfok

athlonx wrote:

@wtfok

Not sure is the same as yours, maybe you can take a look. 

http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6147

Thank you so much athlonx, this worked! For the record: I had to actually set my DNS servers in order to ping to a hostname instead of an IP. I set them to Google's open DNS servers, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, just like you smile (and just like my PC, hehe)

rsd76 wrote:

@wtfok
You cannot ping http adresses of addresses with port number.
You can "ping tracker.istole.it" in your case. Or at least try. The server might not respond to pings.
Or you can try "telnet tracker.istole.it 80" to connect to a server + port.  (In my case press enter a couple of times and I got a response.  Otherwise try CTRL^C and 'e'.)

You can even try "wget http://tracker.istole.it:80" to check if a html page can be downloaded.

Thanks for your help. After setting the DNS servers in the NAS, I got this working.

#1555 2011-01-31 02:43:45

wtfok

Just wanted to add that I got Transmission working on the Torrent-fu app on my Android phone.
Had to take these steps:
- Stop Transmission: /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start/transmission.sh stop
- Edit the config-file: /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start/.transmission-daemon/settings.json
- Set username and password and require authentication
- Optionally disable the whitelist. Your phone will assume many IP's when connected to HSDPA/G2/G3 (at least, that's what I think, correct me if I'm wrong here, for the sake of security smile)
- Save and start Transmission: /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start/transmission.sh start
- Optionally let the port Transmission uses, forward to your server's local IP (default is 9091), so that'll make http://[your ip]:9091. See if you can reach that with your browser and test your username and password.
- Download and install Torrent-fu on your Android phone from the market, fill in your public up (check for it at whatismyip.org), your port number (most likely 9091) and your user and password.

Tah-dah!

#1556 2011-01-31 03:22:10

athlonx

wtfok wrote:

athlonx wrote:

@wtfok

Not sure is the same as yours, maybe you can take a look. 

http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6147

Thank you so much athlonx, this worked! For the record: I had to actually set my DNS servers in order to ping to a hostname instead of an IP. I set them to Google's open DNS servers, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, just like you smile (and just like my PC, hehe)

No problem, I was pulling my hair when i was stuck at this stage.

This is one of the most important step. If not, the trackers will never start.

#1557 2011-01-31 12:02:05

Ruebban

ANyone maybe wanna help me with my annoying problem? smile

#1558 2011-01-31 12:04:31

wtfok

Ruebban wrote:

ANyone maybe wanna help me with my annoying problem? smile

When I, for example, want to alter my settings.json file, I have to stop the Transmission daemon first. When I have done so, I can just open it, else I can't. When I'm finished editing, I just start Transmission again, and the file becomes unwritable automaticly.

Maybe that'll work for you?

#1559 2011-01-31 12:05:58

Ruebban

Well, its in the /downloads/ folders, where my finished torrents are, when i wanna delete them, it says i dont have permission, but do you think it can help  by stopping transmission ,if so, how do i stop it? tongue And how do i start it again?

Edit: It didnt work with stopping transmission, i still cant delete files in my downloads folder.

Last edited by Ruebban (2011-01-31 12:11:43)

#1560 2011-01-31 12:31:12

wtfok

Ruebban wrote:

Well, its in the /downloads/ folders, where my finished torrents are, when i wanna delete them, it says i dont have permission, but do you think it can help  by stopping transmission ,if so, how do i stop it? tongue And how do i start it again?

Edit: It didnt work with stopping transmission, i still cant delete files in my downloads folder.

Did you stop it this way?
/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start/transmission.sh stop

Check if the service has indeed stopped with /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start/transmission.sh status

If you still have trouble, you should indeed chmod that particular folder. Consider the security issues, though.

#1561 2011-01-31 12:35:24

Ruebban

Thanks for the help, problem solved, some chmod issues smile

#1562 2011-02-01 03:50:53

krackpot

KyleK wrote:

Important: I've made changes to the startup script (/ffp/start/transmissions.h) and modified the path where Transmission stores its settings. This is to make it more concise with how other daemons do it.
Transmission settings will now be saved in the folder /ffp/var/transmission (previously: /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon), the logfile will be stored at /ffp/var/log/transmission-daemon.log (previously: /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/transmission-daemon.log)
Also, Transmission is now started as a real daemon (before it always ran in foreground and was forced into a bg process by the shell).

If you want to go with these changes, make sure to copy/move your current settings folder to the new location:

Code:

If you don't want this change, just make a copy of your current /ffp/start/transmission.sh, install the beta, and then simply copy back your script.

Is there a changelog for this new beta? Does your version numbering follow those from the official transmission project?

Thanks for your work on this and automatic. It has made my life a lot easier smile

DNS-323 (B1) on Alt-F 0.1B7
2x2TB WD20EARS

#1563 2011-02-01 22:54:10

nfora

KyleK wrote:

Code:

I installed the new build, and it worked alright. I did have to create /ffp/var/log/ and copy my old transmission-daemon.log file into it.

It looks like 2.20 has issues with folder watching, however, so I downgraded to 2.13. I kept the new startup script, and it seems to work fine with the old build.

#1564 2011-02-01 23:32:50

KyleK

Hm. I wonder if that is because Transmission is running as a real daemon with the new script.
I'll investigate.

#1565 2011-02-02 10:16:13

FunFiler

v2.20b2 has been running here for 24 hours or so with no noticable issues. My setup automatically replaces the startup script with my custom one though so essentially only updates the binaries.

3 * (DNS-323 with 2 * 2TB) = 12TB Running FW v1.08 & FFP v0.5
Useful Links: Transmission, Transmission Remote, Automatic

#1566 2011-02-05 13:42:31

SkyNet

nfora wrote:

I installed the new build, and it worked alright. I did have to create /ffp/var/log/ and copy my old transmission-daemon.log file into it.

It looks like 2.20 has issues with folder watching, however, so I downgraded to 2.13. I kept the new startup script, and it seems to work fine with the old build.

I also confirm that the /ffp/vag/log/ was not created during the installation.
I created the directory manually but I now get the following error message upon starting up:

"Couldn't open "/ffp/var/log/transmission-daemon.log": Permission denied".
What permissions should I give to the /ffp/var/log/ dir and how?
Btw should I also move the transmission.log file ?

#1567 2011-02-06 20:20:06

wiiguy1

KyleK wrote:

As an alternative, you can run Transmission as the same user that you use to access the data with via Samba/Windows File Sharing. Then you can copy/move/delete files to your heart's desire.

This will allow only you though this priviledge, not other accounts.

hmm im running the samba that the nas provides > with the username admin
so i made a account on the shell also named admin
and so i runned the Transmission as admin
but it dident work i still cant delete the files trough samba

#1568 2011-02-07 18:27:40

KyleK

Transmission v2.20 is out! Get it from the first post.

I see this as a maintenance release, bringing performance improvements and fixes several bugs.

@nfora Watchfolder should work again with this release. There was a regression somewhere between the betas. Please test it and let me know if it works.

#1569 2011-02-07 20:17:20

tanstaafl1963

Thanks KyleK!

I just upgraded from 1.92 to 2.20 with only a minor glitch.. overwrote my settings.json file but I figured it out smile

A few questions:
1.  how can I determine the ' "blocklist-url": "http://www.example.com/blocklist", " is functioning? I've put in
    "blocklist-url": "http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/level1.gz" as my url...

2. I had also swapped hard drives and have an extensive list of .torrents I've downloaded, including some RSS Feeds.  Before I start up automatic again, what do I need to do to make sure my  new installation knows I've already downloaded files in an RSS Feed?  I don't want to re-download last season's Burn Notice, or Season 6 of Lost again smile

Thanks for the great product!!

DNS-323 FW 1.09
2 2-TB Drives
Automatic  0.7.0 |  Transmission 2.42

#1570 2011-02-07 22:29:33

nfora

KyleK wrote:

Transmission v2.20 is out! Get it from the first post.

I see this as a maintenance release, bringing performance improvements and fixes several bugs.

@nfora Watchfolder should work again with this release. There was a regression somewhere between the betas. Please test it and let me know if it works.

Had to massage the startup script's paths a bit, but it's looking good, and seems to be working with watch folders. Thanks!

#1571 2011-02-07 22:32:25

tanstaafl1963

Is there any documentation watchfolder ? Where do I setup the definition?

DNS-323 FW 1.09
2 2-TB Drives
Automatic  0.7.0 |  Transmission 2.42

#1572 2011-02-07 23:22:19

KyleK

tanstaafl1963 wrote:

Thanks KyleK!

I just upgraded from 1.92 to 2.20 with only a minor glitch.. overwrote my settings.json file but I figured it out smile

A few questions:
1.  how can I determine the ' "blocklist-url": "http://www.example.com/blocklist", " is functioning? I've put in
    "blocklist-url": "http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/level1.gz" as my url...

2. I had also swapped hard drives and have an extensive list of .torrents I've downloaded, including some RSS Feeds.  Before I start up automatic again, what do I need to do to make sure my  new installation knows I've already downloaded files in an RSS Feed?  I don't want to re-download last season's Burn Notice, or Season 6 of Lost again smile

Thanks for the great product!!

I'm not really sure if Transmission (the daemon anyway) can automatically update the blocklist at a given interval. (I dont use a blocklist myself).
There is, however, a transmission-remote command to update the blocklist:

Code:

$ transmission-remote --blocklist-update

This will presumably use the url you specified to download and unpack a blocklist.

To enable the blocklist, set 'blocklist-enabled' in settings.json to true.

Regarding your second question: Automatic stores a list of of torrents it has downloaded already to prevent redownloading. The file is called automatic.state and by default saved at /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon. Check if the file is there.

Last edited by KyleK (2011-02-07 23:24:01)

#1573 2011-02-07 23:26:57

KyleK

tanstaafl1963 wrote:

Is there any documentation watchfolder ? Where do I setup the definition?

Set up these two options in your settings.json:

Code:

"watch-dir": "/mnt/HD_a2/Data/torrents", 
    "watch-dir-enabled": true

As always, make sure you quit Transmission before edition your settings.json, otherwise it'll overwrite your changes upon shutdown.

#1574 2011-02-08 03:52:31

Character Zero

I believe the blocklist is updated when the daemon is started.  When you run the daemon from the command line - like shown on the first post it shows the blocklist updating. And I assume it is updated by the transmisson.sh script, so you might need to restart that script every so often.  Also since I run as my user I set up for login to the drive I don't run as "nobody" so I have to go into the script and change that or else it can't create the log file.

#1575 2011-02-09 00:02:58

KyleK

Transmission v2.21 is out. It fixes connection encryption that was broken in the previous release.

Get it from the first post.

Board footer