DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 2008-10-17 02:22:46

pwnb0t

Re: BackupPC on the DNS-323 running and working

Alright, I see now.  I must have missed when you said it before that you're on the "make test" step.  That step really isn't always required, but what is required is "make install" and I don't see that you have run that step.  If you haven't, give that shot and see if it works.

#27 2008-10-17 02:51:38

log2g

Sorry, I forgot the main thing...
It seems to work..

Code:

root@casa-backup:/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/File-RsyncP-0.68# make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/File-RsyncP-0.68/Digest'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/File-RsyncP-0.68/Digest'
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/File-RsyncP-0.68/FileList'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/File-RsyncP-0.68/FileList'
Files found in blib/arch: installing files in blib/lib into architecture dependent library tree
Installing /ffp/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/arm-linux-thread-multi/auto/File/RsyncP/Digest/Digest.so
Installing /ffp/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/arm-linux-thread-multi/auto/File/RsyncP/Digest/Digest.bs
Installing /ffp/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/arm-linux-thread-multi/auto/File/RsyncP/FileList/FileList.so
Installing /ffp/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/arm-linux-thread-multi/auto/File/RsyncP/FileList/FileList.bs
Installing /ffp/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/arm-linux-thread-multi/File/RsyncP.pm
Installing /ffp/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/arm-linux-thread-multi/File/RsyncP/FileIO.pm
Installing /ffp/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/arm-linux-thread-multi/File/RsyncP/Digest.pm
Installing /ffp/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/arm-linux-thread-multi/File/RsyncP/FileList.pm
Installing /ffp/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/arm-linux-thread-multi/auto/File/RsyncP/Digest/autosplit.ix
Installing /ffp/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/arm-linux-thread-multi/auto/File/RsyncP/FileList/autosplit.ix
Installing /ffp/share/man/man3/File::RsyncP::Digest.3
Installing /ffp/share/man/man3/File::RsyncP::FileList.3
Installing /ffp/share/man/man3/File::RsyncP::FileIO.3
Installing /ffp/share/man/man3/File::RsyncP.3
Writing /ffp/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/arm-linux-thread-multi/auto/File/RsyncP/.packlist
Appending installation info to /ffp/lib/perl5/5.10.0/arm-linux-thread-multi/perllocal.pod

#28 2008-10-27 12:35:44

krull
Website

Hi there! Thank you for your howto.

Just FYI for those folks who are doing this, the perl modules are in:

http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0. … ages/perl/

Compress::Zlib is also there, but I donno if File::RsyncP is inclusive in the perl package.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Edit: BTW... I am getting that perl error that log2g is getting. funplug 0.5... pretty weird.

Code:

/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/BackupPC-3.1.0 # perl configure.pl

Error loading BackupPC::Lib: Bareword "compareLOGName" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at lib/
Compilation failed in require at (eval 20) line 2.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 20) line 2.

BackupPC cannot load the package BackupPC::Lib, which is included in the
BackupPC distribution.  This probably means you did not cd to the
unpacked BackupPC distribution before running configure.pl, eg:

cd BackupPC-3.1.0
    ./configure.pl

Please try again.

/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/BackupPC-3.1.0 #

with:

http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0. … 5.10-2.tgz
http://search.cpan.org/CPAN/authors/id/ … 011.tar.gz

anyone got info why this is happening? Many thanks.

Last edited by krull (2008-10-27 17:27:23)

#29 2008-10-27 21:03:25

puterboy

I have been taking another tack to getting BackupPC to work in conjunction with my dns-323.
I have chosen to run BackupPC on my server and write to the dns-323 as an nfs share.
After a fair bit of learning and work, I finally have it working. The key for me (in addition to learning how to use BackupPC) was recompiling the kernel to get nfs native mode working since the ufs driver doesn't work well with links causing the BackupPC server to fail.

I would be very interested in knowing which setup is faster. Because on the one way my way requires extra network traffic and invokes the nfs tax but on the other hand running BackupPC natively may be slow since all compression/decompression and md5-summing occurs on the slow dns-323 cpu.

Given the file-pooling magic of BackupPC and the fact that incremental backups (and even full backups if you have multiple machines and keep copying the OS and standard apps), I thought that the advantages of having a fast CPU would outweigh the extra bandwidth required by my approach. Particularly, after the initial full backups are done and the pool is populated.

I was wondering what other peoples' perspective is?

Maybe we could all post some sample times given by BackupPC for performing backups to get a sense of the relative speeds.

#30 2008-11-30 20:24:58

dilettanti

krull wrote:

I am getting that perl error that log2g is getting. funplug 0.5... pretty weird.

Code:

/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/BackupPC-3.1.0 # perl configure.pl

Error loading BackupPC::Lib: Bareword "compareLOGName" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at lib/
Compilation failed in require at (eval 20) line 2.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 20) line 2.

BackupPC cannot load the package BackupPC::Lib, which is included in the
BackupPC distribution.  This probably means you did not cd to the
unpacked BackupPC distribution before running configure.pl, eg:

cd BackupPC-3.1.0
    ./configure.pl

Please try again.

/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/BackupPC-3.1.0 #

Me, too.  And I am definitely running it from the correct directory.  I have firmware 1.05, fonz's funplug 0.5, with all packages in the "packages" directory and the perl package from the "extra-packages" directory, along with the perl modules mentioned in the howto.  But the BackupPC configure script craps out right at the beginning.  I would *love* to get this working, but I am a Linux novice and know no perl at all.  If anyone here has any suggestions, I would be most grateful for the help.

#31 2008-12-01 07:44:40

puterboy

You need to make the following edit:
Remove the parentheses in the line in Lib.pm so it looks like:
return sort compareLOGName @files

#32 2008-12-01 13:55:17

PlaneTeeR

Hello everyone,

I don't seem to get Backuppc working on my CH3SNAS. What i've done is followed these steps from: http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t3227-Back … npkg.html.

But i'm stuck at the rsync perl module. How did you compile it to the DNS-323/CH3SNAS? or is there another way to get it working. I would like to get it working on the CH3SNAS side. Here's where it went wrong:

I was trying to use the make command when i got these errors, haven't attempted further commands yet.

the error i've added

Thanks PlaneTeeR

Last edited by PlaneTeeR (2008-12-01 13:55:39)

Attachments:
Attachment Icon error, Size: 34,085 bytes, Downloads: 524

#33 2008-12-02 06:59:01

dilettanti

puterboy wrote:

That was it - thanks! 

Now I just need to figure out how to get it to run.  I tried setting it up to run as a different user - I guess I could just have it run under root, but the howto suggests running under a dedicated user, and I don't know how to do that...  I created a user 'backuppc' and specified that user during the configuration, but I got the following error:

Error: Wrong user: my userid is 0, instead of 1000(backuppc)

This script needs to run as the user specified in $Conf{BackupPCUser}, which is set to backuppc.

This is an installation problem. If you are using mod_perl then it appears that Apache is not running as user backuppc. If you are not using mod_perl, then most like setuid is not working properly on BackupPC_Admin. Check the permissions on /mnt/HD_a2/www/pages/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin and look at the documentation.

So I tried to switch back to running as root, and I am now getting the following error:

Bareword "HostSortCompare" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/usr/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC line 1635.
Execution of /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/usr/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC aborted due to compilation errors.

Line 1635, in case anyone is interested, is:

Code:

foreach my $host ( sort(HostSortCompare keys(%$Hosts)) ) {

So I still can't get it working, but I feel like I am much closer than before....

#34 2008-12-05 19:00:11

puterboy

dilettanti wrote:

puterboy wrote:

That was it - thanks!

Your welcome

dilettanti wrote:

Now I just need to figure out how to get it to run.  I tried setting it up to run as a different user - I guess I could just have it run under root, but the howto suggests running under a dedicated user, and I don't know how to do that...  I created a user 'backuppc' and specified that user during the configuration, but I got the following error:

Error: Wrong user: my userid is 0, instead of 1000(backuppc)

This script needs to run as the user specified in $Conf{BackupPCUser}, which is set to backuppc.

This is an installation problem. If you are using mod_perl then it appears that Apache is not running as user backuppc. If you are not using mod_perl, then most like setuid is not working properly on BackupPC_Admin. Check the permissions on /mnt/HD_a2/www/pages/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin and look at the documentation.

You need to run as user backuppc. Either log in as user backuppc or 'su' (switch user) to backuppc or do what I do which is to create backuppc as a non-login account by 'sudo' to it.
I run all my BackuPPC individual programs as: sudo -u backuppc <command>

dilettanti wrote:

So I tried to switch back to running as root, and I am now getting the following error:

Bareword "HostSortCompare" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/usr/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC line 1635.
Execution of /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/usr/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC aborted due to compilation errors.

Line 1635, in case anyone is interested, is:

Code:

I would assume this would have the same solution as the error I previously helped you with -- it looks like the same code structure and it is the same error message -- you are allowed to play with the code and try to figure out and fix some things yourself...

#35 2009-04-19 11:05:58

iazmin

I am still struggling to start the backup pc. the following error still persist:

Code:

usb/ffp/home/root# /ffp/usr/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC -d
Bareword "call" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at /ffp/usr/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC line 1635.
Execution of /ffp/usr/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC aborted due to compilation errors.

I tried to use add the "call" as proposed by mixle but it still does not work out well.

#36 2009-04-20 22:08:28

mixle

I don't know if anyone else is having trouble with this, but I keep getting:

"Error: Only privileged users can view information about host "

When trying to load a host. I've created the backuppc user, have lighttpd running as that user, have confirmed that backuppc perl script will run with that user, however there is no dropdown in my main screen, and when I search for my host in the Hosts search box, it finds it, but shows the above error.

I've also added a line to the lighttpd that is supposed to add the REMOTE_USER information that the script requires.

Ideas?

#37 2009-04-21 03:52:55

iazmin

iazmin wrote:

I am still struggling to start the backup pc. the following error still persist:

Code:

usb/ffp/home/root# /ffp/usr/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC -d
Bareword "call" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at /ffp/usr/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC line 1635.
Execution of /ffp/usr/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC aborted due to compilation errors.

I tried to use add the "call" as proposed by mixle but it still does not work out well.

At last I managed to make everything work. Thank you Craig from BackupCentral

At line 1635 of bin/BackupPC, try replacing this:

Code:

with this:

foreach my $host ( sort HostSortCompare keys(%$Hosts) ) {

Last edited by iazmin (2009-04-21 03:56:28)

#38 2009-04-23 05:29:24

talkingRock

Could someone outline for me the advantages of using BackupPC over using rsnapshot+cron on the backup-server and an rsync daemon on the backup-client?     I'm having a hard time figuring out whether it's useful for me to try.

#39 2009-06-10 18:57:10

Marijom

Any progress with the File-RsyncP-0.68

/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/BackupPC/File-RsyncP-0.68 # make
cp lib/File/RsyncP/FileIO.pm blib/lib/File/RsyncP/FileIO.pm
cp lib/File/RsyncP.pm blib/lib/File/RsyncP.pm
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/BackupPC/File-RsyncP-0.68/Digest'
cp Digest.pm ../blib/lib/File/RsyncP/Digest.pm
AutoSplitting ../blib/lib/File/RsyncP/Digest.pm (../blib/lib/auto/File/RsyncP/Digest)
/ffp/bin/perl /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/lib/perl5/5.10.0/ExtUtils/xsubpp  -typemap /ffp/lib/perl5/5.10.0/ExtUtils/typemap -typemap typemap  Digest.xs > Digest.xsc && mv Digest.xsc Digest.c
distcc gcc -c   -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O2   -DVERSION=\"0.68\" -DXS_VERSION=\"0.68\" -fPIC "-I/ffp/lib/perl5/5.10.0/arm-linux-thread-multi/CORE"  -DPERL_BYTEORDER=1234 Digest.c
distcc: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [Digest.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/BackupPC/File-RsyncP-0.68/Digest'
make: *** [subdirs] Error 2
/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/BackupPC/File-RsyncP-0.68 # make install
make[1]: Entering directory `/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/BackupPC/File-RsyncP-0.68/Digest'
distcc gcc -c   -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O2   -DVERSION=\"0.68\" -DXS_VERSION=\"0.68\" -fPIC "-I/ffp/lib/perl5/5.10.0/arm-linux-thread-multi/CORE"  -DPERL_BYTEORDER=1234 Digest.c
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/BackupPC/File-RsyncP-0.68/Digest'
make: *** [subdirs] Error 2

#40 2009-10-07 07:02:21

profm2

Thanks for the info on setting up BackupPC.

I believe I have everything installed and setup correctly, however I get the following error (in the Admin page):

Code:

Error: Can't find IP address for machine

machine is a DHCP host, and I don't know its IP address. I checked the netbios name of 192.168.0.93, and found that that machine is not machine.

Until I see machine at a particular DHCP address, you can only start this request from the client machine itself.

"machine" is the name of my laptop running WinXP, and is defined in the /ffp/etc/BackupPC/hosts file as a DHCP host.  It's also defined in Computer->Properties->Computer Name ... full computer name: machine

What commands can I try to troubleshoot trying to connect to my laptop from the DNS-323?

Last edited by profm2 (2009-10-07 07:04:43)

#41 2010-05-16 18:43:39

jotenakis

I have the same message, have you fixed this issue ?
BackupPc is working with lighttpd as user backuppc.

mixle wrote:

I don't know if anyone else is having trouble with this, but I keep getting:

"Error: Only privileged users can view information about host "

When trying to load a host. I've created the backuppc user, have lighttpd running as that user, have confirmed that backuppc perl script will run with that user, however there is no dropdown in my main screen, and when I search for my host in the Hosts search box, it finds it, but shows the above error.

I've also added a line to the lighttpd that is supposed to add the REMOTE_USER information that the script requires.

Ideas?

Last edited by jotenakis (2010-05-16 18:44:15)

#42 2011-09-29 12:14:36

GailH

Marijom wrote:

Any progress with the File-RsyncP-0.68

/mnt/HD_a2/ffp/tmp/BackupPC/File-RsyncP-0.68 # make
distcc gcc -c   [... etc]
... ...

Marijom: I have the exact same problem. I think it's neccessary to install the GNU C compiler, using the distcc package. Have you done it? I'm trying to do it. Please report
GailH

-> Update: I have installed distcc-3.0-1 and gcc-4.1-2 packges. I am trying to do a "make" on File::RsyncP. The "make" fails with the first error: cannot link to 127.0.0.1. I then go:
disccd -a 127.0.0.1
and then I do the "make".
Then the gcc compiler gives a huge amount of error messages: it can't find the "include" files.

-> Update 30 9 2011: I had to install binutils, kernel-headers, bison and several other packages.
Also, in the "make " command, it's good to add: "CC=gcc CCX=g++", in order to bypass distcc. Compilation now works.

Last edited by GailH (2011-09-30 10:45:42)

Board footer